dot & dab / width of door linings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With 100mm block walls is it possible to dot and dab and stay correct for skimming using 12.5mm plasterboard and 140mm door linings.
I have one of the door linings in, and now looking at it, I think not.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Its a no no to use 12.5......three eighthts ( 9.5mm) are standard for dot and dab. Of course you can use half inch (12.5mm) but not necessary.

dont listen to legs hes limited to rendering, just about i think.
12.5 are better than 9.5 because they dont bend as much and are eisier to flatten. if your struggling with the thickness 9.5 will be sound. quote legs "Its a no no to use 12.5" who told you this? stop giving false advise fool.

You have answered your own question Paul and laura.
I have plastered hundreds of houses in England and on a standard wimpey type newbuild detached to use an example all materials were supplied ready and waiting....Never ever did I ...or be supplied with a half inch board. So unless specs have changed !!!!!!!
That is not to say they can not be used of course, It is standard to use half inch with a door casing on stud but with dot and dab any discrepency in the blockwork, then you have that little bit extra play with the 9.5 boards.
They are far easier to handle, easier to cut, cheaper and unless you are a kacky handed oaf like J Bonding who would probably be smashing them into place with the back of a shovel I dont see any reason to use half inch boards...Why do you think they are sold then J.B in the first place??? They are no good for ceilings but perfect for dot and dabbing you monkey brained moron.

Didn't really answer my own question, I was thinking aloud. Without your and jbonding's most amusing discussion, I would probably not have used 9.5 without a pro say so. I am sure it must be really common for DIY,ers who do want to make a decent fist of it, over-spec in ignorance.
Thanks

Your most welcome :LOL: Cant speak for the testosterone fuelled chimp though!

legs-akimbo said:
You have answered your own question Paul and laura.
I have plastered hundreds of houses in England and on a standard wimpey type newbuild detached to use an example all materials were supplied ready and waiting....Never ever did I ...or be supplied with a half inch board. So unless specs have changed !!!!!!!
That is not to say they can not be used of course, It is standard to use half inch with a door casing on stud but with dot and dab any discrepency in the blockwork, then you have that little bit extra play with the 9.5 boards.
They are far easier to handle, easier to cut, cheaper and unless you are a kacky handed oaf like J Bonding who would probably be smashing them into place with the back of a shovel I dont see any reason to use half inch boards...Why do you think they are sold then J.B in the first place??? They are no good for ceilings but perfect for dot and dabbing you monkey brained moron.

you truly are a novice, the gear was ready and waiting so you threw it on,lol. who told you the spec, the delivery man,lol. how would you know the spec had changed if you only threw on what was there? specs are different for every house type, 12.5,9.5,15mm,planks, fireline,insulation,foilback and so on.did you do the full houses with 9.5? 12.5 go on easier because they dont bend, 9.5 arnt easier to handle because they bend and break they might be lighter but not much. *******s,12.5 cut easier and cleaner you should know, were talking pennies in price, slightly more fire protection and more insulation. they are sold in 9.5 and less and thicker, what a stupid question. why are they no good for ceilings muppet.

well one thing is now crystal clear without any doubt whatsoever!!!!!
J Bonding you have never plastered on site on a development. You can not possibly have or you will be fully aware that the quantities are worked out to the exact bag of finish .....dry wall compound...The exact number of beads and rolls of skrim tape. It all comes and is left in the house shrink wrapped from Gypsum or Knauf. If you use more (waste) than the delivered amount you will have to explain why. If ever you had worked on site you would be aware of this as a matter of course and not be dribbling the nonsensensical incoherent ramblings that I have just read.
It does not take a genius to ascertain that the 9.5mm are for dabbing and the 12.s for ceilings. As I previously stated unless the general spec has changed in the last few years then ALLWAYS ALLWAYS ALLWAYS 9.5mm boards were used for dabbing, are you telling me that you did not know this?
Are you also tewlling me that plasterboards come thinner than 9.5mm Quote "they come in 9.5 and less, and thicker.
If you are slabbing ceilings inanything less than half inch boards then you are contraveing regulations and your work will be condemned.
You have yet to state what type of work you do on a daily basis!! There is no doubt whatsoever you have never worked a converntional development site by your prior statement...You are on here daily, so obviously not working..just what and when and where do you do anything?

legs-akimbo said:
well one thing is now crystal clear without any doubt whatsoever!!!!!
J Bonding you have never plastered on site on a development. You can not possibly have or you will be fully aware that the quantities are worked out to the exact bag of finish .....dry wall compound...The exact number of beads and rolls of skrim tape. It all comes and is left in the house shrink wrapped from Gypsum or Knauf. If you use more (waste) than the delivered amount you will have to explain why. If ever you had worked on site you would be aware of this as a matter of course and not be dribbling the nonsensensical incoherent ramblings that I have just read.
It does not take a genius to ascertain that the 9.5mm are for dabbing and the 12.s for ceilings. As I previously stated unless the general spec has changed in the last few years then ALLWAYS ALLWAYS ALLWAYS 9.5mm boards were used for dabbing, are you telling me that you did not know this?
Are you also tewlling me that plasterboards come thinner than 9.5mm Quote "they come in 9.5 and less, and thicker.
If you are slabbing ceilings inanything less than half inch boards then you are contraveing regulations and your work will be condemned.
You have yet to state what type of work you do on a daily basis!! There is no doubt whatsoever you have never worked a converntional development site by your prior statement...You are on here daily, so obviously not working..just what and when and where do you do anything?

legs stop talking ****e,ive dabbed with 9.5,12.5,15mm,half inch on sand cement scratch coat,12.5 on soundcoat scratchcoat so dont talk about the spec being 9.5,lol.like i said in the previous post the specs different for every house type and condition. a contractor prices for a job and beleive me the right amount never turns up for a job, if theres a 100 houses,flats or what ever, the gear keeps coming, the amount of waste on sites is unbeleivable and the amount of materials that disapears aswell so dont talk ****e.it doesnt take a genius to work out the thicker boards go on the ceiling but what happens if there all 12.5 dont you dab? or would you check the spec?could it be possible 12.5 could be on the spec for dabbing.boards do come thinner than 9.5 but then youve probably never boarded a curved wall, no one mentioned putting them on ceilings muppet appart from you but it sounds like you never knew they existed? im a plasterer on a daily basis i thought that was quite clear,sounds like youve never worked on a conventional development if your relying on the delivery driver to supply you with the spec, a little bit of advise legs, that bit of paper you sign after a delivery is not the spec.i work for my self when i want and at what time i want thats the beauty of being at the top of your game and working for yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back