dot & dab / width of door linings

Are you completely f****ng stupid J.B....what is all this crap about delivery drivers and specs you clown.
A Wimpey..Permisson..Barrett type house are build cheap and fast to bare minimum requirements and they are not going to spend more than they have to so if 9.5mm boards will surfice that is what they use. Of course there are going to be exceptions on higher spec requirements but generally speaking on a site with 300 houses exactly the same they did.... at least when I was working them..... never ever use a half inch board. I can only tell you what I know having plastered dozens and dozens and dozens with regular mononotonous regularity. Please state in your next post when and IF you have ever in your life worked a new build development site!!!!!!

Can you get boards less than 9.5mm as you clearly stated?

Do you plasterboard peoples ceilings in 9.5 cus as you say there is nothing wrong with them?

No J.B the gear does not just keep coming and comeing. Did you not read what I said theese are new builds not a refurb ...The main plastering contractors do their deals with the suppliers and quantities are evalluated and so the corresct amount for that particular property are shrink wrapped and left for the subbie spreads before commencement...There are no delivery drivers to meet ( O how I laugh at your total lack of any idea whatsoever) The spec for what it is worth is is a twenty second conversation with the clerk of works or site foreman. END OF

Sponsored Links
Just checked The White Book and there in states both 9.5 and 12.5 as well as all manner of insulated boards are standard for dabbing...You do know the white book dont you J.B.?

legs-akimbo said:
Are you completely f****ng stupid J.B....what is all this rubbish about delivery drivers and specs you clown.
A Wimpey..Permisson..Barrett type house are build cheap and fast to bare minimum requirements and they are not going to spend more than they have to so if 9.5mm boards will surfice that is what they use. Of course there are going to be exceptions on higher spec requirements but generally speaking on a site with 300 houses exactly the same they did.... at least when I was working them..... never ever use a half inch board. I can only tell you what I know having plastered dozens and dozens and dozens with regular mononotonous regularity. Please state in your next post when and IF you have ever in your life worked a new build development site!!!!!!

Can you get boards less than 9.5mm as you clearly stated?

Do you plasterboard peoples ceilings in 9.5 cus as you say there is nothing wrong with them?

No J.B the gear does not just keep coming and comeing. Did you not read what I said theese are new builds not a refurb ...The main plastering contractors do their deals with the suppliers and quantities are evalluated and so the corresct amount for that particular property are shrink wrapped and left for the subbie spreads before commencement...There are no delivery drivers to meet ( O how I laugh at your total lack of any idea whatsoever) The spec for what it is worth is is a twenty second conversation with the clerk of works or site foreman. END OF

legs ive worked on hundreds of big developments, they bore me because its the same thing different day. you mustnt of been on site for a long while its rare to see 9.5 appart from foilback.you can get boards less than 9.5 i think there 5mm but dont quote me on the size. legs you stated 12.5 was a no no, i made the point you were wrong. i never use 9.5 like i said they bend and break.on big jobs there are pallets and pallets of materials on site. one of the main suppliers in manchester supplies everyone and dont worry about the waste, i send you a thousand boards, ive sold a thousand, wether they exist or not youve got a bill for a 1000. everyones happy, their not arsed about waste. the jobs priced and theyve got an idea of the amount, waste, stuff that disapears and then youve got extras. double,triple quadrupal it and youve got the job depending on who gets paid what.youve never met a delivery driver on site?the spec is on the drawing.

legs-akimbo said:
Just checked The White Book and there in states both 9.5 and 12.5 as well as all manner of insulated boards are standard for dabbing...You do know the white book dont you J.B.?

does this mean you agree?

Sponsored Links
Went to my local B&Q Warehouse today to pick up a few bits and pieces, While i was there i thought i would wonder over to the section where all the plaster boards and plaster are kept.

I couldnt help but notice that they KEEP IN STOCK 6mm plaster boards. I couldnt resist snapping the corner off one just to see how strong they are and was surprissed to find that it was reinforced with a fibreglass webbing.

Conclusion :

Plasterboards ARE available les than 9.5

Mick.

my mate who I work with who had been working the type of sites I have been talking about untill only recently...Cheap thrown together housing estates... told me they still use 9.5 boards on all dabbing just as they did ten years ago and just as they will ten years from now. nothing has changed, I do not doubt the fact that half inch are used in certain instances but, as told today, and as I assumed, the predominant board is a 9.5.

legs-akimbo said:
my mate who I work with who had been working the type of sites I have been talking about untill only recently...Cheap thrown together housing estates... told me they still use 9.5 boards on all dabbing just as they did ten years ago and just as they will ten years from now. nothing has changed, I do not doubt the fact that half inch are used in certain instances but, as told today, and as I assumed, the predominant board is a 9.5.

no body said you cant use 9.5, and maybe on a cheap house they might use them,quote legs"ALLWAYS ALLWAYS ALLWAYS 9.5mm boards were used for dabbing, are you telling me that you did not know this?" are you?
quote legs "Just checked The White Book and there in states both 9.5 and 12.5 as well as all manner of insulated boards are standard for dabbing.." so if there standard, quote legs" the predominant board is a 9.5.[/quote]" doesnt make sense and isnt true.

Ok I will clarify. The 9.5 was, and from what I can gather still very much is the bog standard most used size of plasterboard in dot and dabbing run of the mill brick and block built semi detached new built properties.
Of course and I restate other sized boards can and are used in conjunction with specific requirements and specifications, including insulation backed shelter boards, gyproc wallboard ten for conforming to revised part E transmission of sounds for internal partitions and seperating walls, and regular 12.5mm P.B. BUT and here is the crux of the matter ....No contractor is going to use anything other than the bare minimum of requirements which is why the 9.5 is still so widely used. And, seeing as we have strayed from the original posters first point the 9.5 is the one to use on walls with door casings for the obvious benefits of depth.
Look up the words Predominant and standard in a dictionary, they have two differing distinct meanings

And I stated Allways were used for dabbing and not................ allways were THE ONLY SIZE used for dabbing.

legs-akimbo said:
And I stated Allways were used for dabbing and not................ allways were THE ONLY SIZE used for dabbing.

did you say 12.5 were a no no?

Yes J.B. I did indeed but I was generalising in view of the points made about the deviation of the door casing, and overall where no specific specification was required to meet any exacting standard.

legs-akimbo said:
Yes J.B. I did indeed but I was generalising in view of the points made about the deviation of the door casing, and overall where no specific specification was required to meet any exacting standard.

well swerved :LOL: :LOL:

legs-akimbo said:
Its a no no to use 12.5......three eighthts ( 9.5mm) are standard for dot and dab. Of course you can use half inch (12.5mm) but not necessary.

Do try not to be so selective when quoteing me J.B., the full post above is self explanatory.

lets try this, am i being selective again quote legs " As I previously stated unless the general spec has changed in the last few years then ALLWAYS ALLWAYS ALLWAYS 9.5mm boards were used for dabbing, are you telling me that you did not know this?" The specs always different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back