dot n dab ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Was at a property recently when a builder has bricked the seperation wall between the living room and dining room using single skin course of blocks.

The gap difference is quite large but he says it cant be dot n dabbed as its only a single skin block wall...... how true is this, even if its just between the 2 living rooms.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Was at a property recently when a builder has bricked the seperation wall between the living room and dining room using single skin course of blocks.

The gap difference is quite large but he says it cant be dot n dabbed as its only a single skin block wall...... how true is this, even if its just between the 2 living rooms.

Gap difference?

gap difference??

sorry, yes the blocks that have been built are thinner than the original wall so now the blocks are much deeper than the original wall.

So i was wondering if dot n dab was an option as the builder says NO because its only a single skin wall.

Just curious really with it only being the seperation wall to the living room and dining room

i was wondering if dot n dab was an option as the builder says NO because its only a single skin wall

Yes it can be dot n dabbed.

the blocks that have been built are thinner than the original wall so now the blocks are much deeper than the original wall.

I dont quite get what you mean. :confused:

Sponsored Links
sorry been a long day,

i meant the blocks are thinner in depth to the original wall so there is a large recess gap now which the builder said must be rendered as its single skin.

so i was hoping to dot n dab to the blocks (for speed) to bring flush with the original wall.

there is no reason why a single skin wall cannot be d&d but what is the gap difference size? how great a distance is it?

there is no reason why a single skin wall cannot be d&d but what is the gap difference size? how great a distance is it?

AS steve says - but I'm worried about a builder who

a -used the wrong size blocks, making a problem

and

b his idea that a single skin wall can't be dot and dabbed .

It's just nonsense, complete and utter nonsense - single skin walls are being d&d every day , whole houses being stuck . Maybe he's afraid its so badly built that it will fall over when teh boards are tapped !

Did he leave it shy on both sides or help things a little by leaving only one side to make up ?

wouldnt a couple bags of bonding be better,quicker and cheaper,bring it out near level the skim
of course flloat and set would be best but i think your missing the point the op wants to d&d and has been told its not possible which of course isent true

stevethespreader";p="2046788 said:

wouldnt a couple bags of bonding be better,quicker and cheaper,bring it out near level the skim
of course flloat and set would be best but i think your missing the point the op wants to d&d and has been told its not possible which of course isent true[/quote
i think he allready guessed that u can,just saying thats not the only option

cheers for all the input fellas, it did get dot n dabbed today.

what the builder had done was lay the course of blocks too close to one edge leaving about 1.5" gap on the other side so i was looking for dot n dab as its much quicker than float and set, but this builder insisted to the customer that it couldnt be done.

so you can imagine the customer being totally confused :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back