Double click.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -
is there a way of blocking 'double-click' - it is driving me insane .....

Thanks very very much if you can advise.

Perry :mad:

Sponsored Links
You could add all of the doubleclick domain names to your hosts file.

I have about 300 of them in mine, so Email me if you want the list.

Thank you for the replies, JohnD and Softus. Actually my question was misleading :oops: It is really Spybot that is driving me mad in that it keeps popping up messages that it has blocked Double Click and I have to keep clicking OK before I can continue what I was doing. I am of course very pleased that Spybot is intercepting it (and Adviva) so successfully. What I was hoping for is a way to stop it before it gets in to be stopped by Spybot......

Wanting the impossible, I suppose ?
Perry

Sponsored Links
Not impossible at all.

I recommend that you start by downloading and running Lavasoft Ad-Aware.

Also, make sure that you've run a full scan using Spybot.

I suggest that you run them after a fresh boot, without having started Internet Explorer.

what is a hosts file, and how do you use it?

Thank you v much, Mr Dobbo ! Such information is gold dust to
numptys like me.....

I was plucking up courage to ask Softus about the 'hosts' file..... (He frightens the socks off me ..... ;) )
Perry

The hosts file is basically an address book for your internet browsing. Every URL (web address) you enter refers to specific ip address out on the internet. You can see this in action by doing this.

Enter your Start menu. Goto RUN and type in "cmd". Hit OK. This will bring up a black box. Now type in "ping www.google.com". Providing your machine is working well (I assume it is since you are reading this). You should see the following line :

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.249.93.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Those numbers are the IP address of that site. When you browse a website you are really looking at those numbers instead of the address, but we use names for websites so we can remember them and it makes more sense to our minds.

Back to the hosts file. This file is a simple address book that links the names (urls -- whatever you call them) to those 4 numbers. The computer will check the hosts file before it looks to the internet for those numbers.

The trick in the hosts file is to fool the computer into thinking the URL's of site you DONT want contact with are actually on your own computer (which has a ip of 127.0.0.1). By doing this you deny any nasties in the background from being able to contact home -- because you are making them contact yourself.

bron - an excellent précis. :)

Persimmon - stop building houses and just ask me for the hosts file. ;)

:evil: The amount of effort I and my collegues put into Double Click, and there you are removing it (You could of course just turn off Javascript) :)

Thank you Softus. I am too busy housebuilding at the moment to enter 300 odd addresses on a hosts' file so I'll just keep clicking 'OK' for the moment and if I may, will take you up on your kind offer at a later date !

Perry

Thank you Softus. I am too busy housebuilding at the moment to enter 300 odd addresses on a hosts' file so I'll just keep clicking 'OK' for the moment and if I may, will take you up on your kind offer at a later date !

Perry

Just goto the site mentioned above :

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

"Download: hosts.zip [right-click - Select: Save Target As] [Updated 11-01-07]"

Unzip that and run "mvps.bat"

Done.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank you bron..... I'll have a lie down first and maybe a stiff drink ! That looks even more frightening than Softus - Unfortunately the part of the brain that makes all that stuff a piece of cake to people like you and Softus is missing in some of us. :( (Hopefully we have other talents to compensate....) That is not to say however that I am not very grateful to both of you for taking the time to try to educate me and I will print off the instructions and try to follow them.

Perry

Sponsored Links
Back