Double click.....

:D I plunged in and made something happen, because now there are no ads on the forum pages, instead a notice saying 'the page cannot be displayed'. But good old Spybot is still popping up in my e-mails to tell me that 'double-click' has been blocked so I am still having to click on 'OK' to proceed. Can I now assume that all the nasties are being thwarted by this new program and that Spybot is redundant and I could scrap it ? Or am I talking through my hat ?

Sorry if I am being dim-witted !
Perry

Sponsored Links
"Spybot is still popping up in my e-mails to tell me that 'double-click' has been blocked "

What does the mesage say???

It says : SPYbot-S&D has blocked the download of "DoubleClick" ! I then have to tick 'OK' before I can proceed.

:idea: Perhaps I should be 'turning off' something in Spybot ? Their 'tutorial' doesn't give a lot of info.

Congratulations! I knew you'd manage it :)

Firstly, don't scrap S&D. The hosts file is a very basic measure and is only updated when you can be arsed to do so. S&D is a proactive monitor and will alert you to new threats that are not in the hosts file.

You will still get the alert from S&D as you have not eradicated the issue, you've simply mislead it. S&D doesn't know you've tricked it, so it panics and alerts you as normal.

Now you've ring fenced the problem you need to get rid of it. I assume it's packed up with google toolbar or something these days?

Sponsored Links
Did the problem improve when you ran AdAware? How long did the improvement last?

Thank you, Bron. It is worth putting up with a little inconvenience (like having to click OK a lot) if it makes the computer safer !

You have been very kind and patient - I have seen your exchange with Bahco, also helpful to me. I look forward to your future contributions to the forum, which will still further my education !

Hi John D - I tried to install Ad-aware when told to by Softus (too frightened not to.... ;) ) but as occurred when I tried to install it before, I got only so far and then couldn't get any further. Anyway, as said above I am resigned to endlessly clicking OK if it helps safeguard my computer. You are also a kind and patient person, I enjoy your contributions on all topics - I like your sense of humour !

Thank you also Softus - only joking about you being scary.... :) (is there an emoticon for 'fingers crossed' )

Perry

Are you using 'Resident protection' within S&D?
ResidentSandD.jpg

Have a look at the help associated with <Tools> <Resident>
See a hosts file offered there too... <Help> explains a little more.

Plenty to see in the resident section.

:D

empip -

I have never seen that screen ! I have clicked on everything but no joy.
How do I get it ??
Thanks

Perry

John D -

I started to run Ad-aware again so that I could reply accurately. Then the spouse switched off the fan in the shower-room and the circuit went ! Cordless telephones bleeping and internet connection gone.... :rolleyes: Made me glad that I have an impressive looking surge protector, even if it wasn't involved ! Circuit restored but better check out the pull-cord.

Will have another go at Ad-aware tomorrow. In the meantime thanks for your reply.
Perry

empip -

I have never seen that screen ! I have clicked on everything but no joy.
How do I get it ??
Thanks

Perry

SandDmode.jpg

Advanced mode gets the extras in the sidebar eg. <Tools> and from it's resultant menu <Resident>

Also note there is offered an hosts file with selectable auto addition to one's existing hosts file.

Check out 'Immunize' from the sidebar...
This certainly sets out to block doubleclick.com and doubleclick.net among many other domains from within the system registry.

Likely help for you - Check out the poster's problem, then the solution posted by 'md usa spybot fan' here :- http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=20110
S&D 'Immunize' page should appear something like this, drop down menu open.
Immunize.jpg

-0-

Persimmon said:
I am too busy housebuilding at the moment to enter 300 odd addresses...
Er, I wasn't advocating typing them in!

Let me know if you want the list, but the one that bron references is much bigger.

empip - thank you very much. I shall look into what you supplied very carefully. I very much appreciate the kindness of people like bron and yourself who spell things out for the ignorant. When it is all absolutely clear to someone it is difficult to believe that if you don't know you don't know ! I like to think that I know things that others mightn't.....

John D - haven't had a chance to try to run Ad-aware but will do so and report back.

Softus - sorry, numpty at work again. I have downloaded bron's list so you are off the hook on that one. But I haven't gone away.... :evil:

Perry

Sponsored Links
Back