Double Council Tax on unoccupied home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, a family member has just purchased an old house that's been empty for 2 years, it needs fully renovating and plan to move in when their house is sold.

However they have been hit with a double council tax bill as the house has been empty for 2 years despite them only buying it 4 weeks ago.

Has anyone had this issue? Will the council tax revert back to normal rates when they move in?

Sadly they council are closed to ask them but wanted to ask on here if anyone had this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello, a family member has just purchased an old house that's been empty for 2 years, it needs fully renovating and plan to move in when their house is sold.

However they have been hit with a double council tax bill as the house has been empty for 2 years despite them only buying it 4 weeks ago.

Has anyone had this issue? Will the council tax revert back to normal rates when they move in?

Sadly they council are closed to ask them but wanted to ask on here if anyone had this.

Thanks
The council will understand. You might need some documentation to prove the purchase.

We’ve had similar and worked it out.

yep dont worry about it not liable and few taps of computer usually sorts it , but they will not get any reduction while its empty

Sponsored Links
One of my BTLs is currently empty so paying no council tax (I'm in Scotland.) After 6 months I'll pay 50% if it's still unoccupied. However after 12 if it's still unoccupied I need to pay 200% i.e. a 100% surcharge. Done to encourage property owners not to sit with properties unoccupied for lengthy periods of time.

I have mixed views on that. I don't disagree with having to pay full whack after the year, however having to pay double thereafter if it's still empty I don't agree with. Having said that, reading the small print, there can apparently be exceptions to the 100% surcharge e.g. if you can prove the property is being marketed.

good point diyfun we forget about the different laws in gods country

To avoid C/Tax either take up a lot of flooring if you have work to do or disconect the electric, just use a temp trailling lead , therefore the house is un inhabitable = no charge. Or make up a ficticious tenants name , put C/tax, gas ,elec, water in there name, after a year they have done a dissapearing act , "and if you find them let me know as they owe me rent" has worked for me on a couple of occasions, different addresses though, you have to be sneaky, I just call it leveling up! ;)

To avoid C/Tax either take up a lot of flooring if you have work to do or disconect the electric, just use a temp trailling lead , therefore the house is un inhabitable = no charge. Or make up a ficticious tenants name , put C/tax, gas ,elec, water in there name, after a year they have done a dissapearing act , "and if you find them let me know as they owe me rent" has worked for me on a couple of occasions, different addresses though, you have to be sneaky, I just call it leveling up! ;)

Depends on the council's definition of inhabited, I had no flooring and lot of renevation work needed doing, the council bod says it still counts as empty. I pointed out on the website it said uninhabitable dwelling would have no charge, and asked them to define unihabitable (they wouldn't)

In the end told them I was living there and the jobsworth came round the house to check! Should have told them sod off and come back with a court warrant!

You obviously shouldn't be liable from before the purchase but after that the councils rules vary.

It will be subject to 2nd property tax, though they have 18 months to claim that back (from memory). There isn't CGT to pay provided the current property does not experience any growth between being unoccupied as a family home and being sold. The new house could in theory be subject to CGT if it was realised without being a primary dwelling.

Sponsored Links
Back