Double decker / Narrow consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone no a brand of consumer unit that accomodates installation in narrow areas. Doesn't have to be too narrow, but a standard 17th edition board wouldn't suffice and RCBO's are a little out of my clients budget.

I remember RF had posted an image of one a while back (I think it was RF) but searching, it seems to have been removed.

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
The only one of mine I can think of was just two MK CUs butted up to each other.

There is a kit available which has the internal links for when you are stacking them (MK part no. K5561S)

How many ways do you need in total?

try 2 smaller boards and cut a slot between them...
that way you don't need a "17th edition" board, just 2 single ones with an RCD incommer for both... :)

Sponsored Links
Mount one sideways

<runs away>
don't see why not.. as long as it's a metal board so it doesn't melt with th increased heat.
after all the single breakers in a 3 phase board by the same maker are mounted sideways..

I consulted ELECSA technical (and asked my assessor recentl) about mounting sideways, apparently not, the switch has to operate up down not side to side, notice a three phase board still has its isolator in the up down position.

Sorry!

oh yeah, forgot about the isolator.. :oops:

bit of din rail and a dremel should fix that... :) ;)

Would it be acceptable to forget the isolator in the board, and have one mounted in a seperate enclosure below the board (butted up to it)

Yes, very common in commercial and industrial settings, and more so in the homes, ColJack hinted at it a few posts up ^^^^

There are 9 ways in total.

Maybe 2 x smaller boards is the option to take.

Existing 100A main switch is in place already (surprisingly)

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back