DIY Consumer Unit Change

I think we all know there are two ways of pricing a CU change.

1) A high initial cost, but likely to be an honest quote that won't later increase.

2) A cheap initial cost £300, and various extra's will (or could) be added along the way.

Sponsored Links
I think we all know there are two ways of pricing a CU change.
1) A high initial cost, but likely to be an honest quote that won't later increase.
2) A cheap initial cost £300, and various extra's will (or could) be added along the way.
Indeed - and, provided the 'extras' are charged fairly (which often they are not, by the £300 folk!!), the latter would probably be the best for the customer, because they then pay for the work which was actually required. The former approach (if it's a 'fixed' quote) inevitably means that, if the job proves to be very straightforward, the customer will usually over-pay, since the high fixed quote will have incorporated some provision for 'extra work which might have been required'.

Kind Regards, John

^thats right.

The question is, leave the earthing and that will £400 max or DIY the earth and they will hunt until they find something else wrong.

It's the unknown unknown costs that is the concern.

E.g shared neutral on landing light.
You might want to investigate that first and resolve if required. That would be expensive.

Sponsored Links
A simple example of that is singles at the landing switch, however I think its an intermediate

The classic example is the landing light stops working when the downstairs fuse is removed.

Or a link between the com terminals in the downstairs light switch

There appears to only be 1 lighting circuit so no issues now. I will pull the cover off the board and have a peek. I have 30-40mtrs of old skool B&W T&E which if I could find where upstairs is fed from and JB it out back the board.

Oh yes I recall now. I would be using a type C MCB for the lights then.
Don't want a blown bulb leaving the house in darkness

I know that feeling however most people can walk from memory and we have good corridor husbandry of keeping it clear

Some images

Board and Meter inside a corner kitchen cupboard.

20140731_111255.jpg

Post deleted as photo posted below.

Double Socket, Spurred from a Single Socket, Providing power to the garage board and the light in the rear porch.

20140731_111651.jpg

Awesome eh

Tissues not needed with left to right gravity.

Why are so many pictures rotated lately?
Can't all be the posters.

We also found Choc-Blocks on 1mm in the attic with tape on them, easy fix.

Here are the pictures rotated..

20140731_110943.jpg

Ah...the fridge socket?

20140731_111522.jpg

EFI... just for you.. a screen shot.. photos were uploaded using phone.

Screenshot_2014_07_31_14_35_51.png

FTB

It's a well-known (should be well known to Apple users) problem with images from iphones (and probably ipads too).

http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/

But whatever the root cause, and whoever is to blame for the orientation ending up wrong, it is the posters fault if they don't, immediately after posting, think "oo-err", and use any of the many image processing tools out there to fix it and re-upload.

It's a well-known (should be well known to Apple users) problem with images from iphones (and probably ipads too).

http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/

But whatever the root cause, and whoever is to blame for the orientation ending up wrong, it is the posters fault if they don't, immediately after posting, think "oo-err", and use any of the many image processing tools out there to fix it and re-upload.

That link is regarding photos being 180° out. Where as the OP's photos were 90° out.

Tissues not needed with left to right gravity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back