Double dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought a double dimmer switch to replace the one in my kitchen - simple one might think, however the wiring I'm presented with is confusing me.
At present there are 7(!) wires behind the existing double switch -

Neutral (yellow/green) - not connected

3 Black wires - connected to each other in a plastic block

3 red wires
- one is stripped at the end and part way along at a bend, this goes into L1 on both sides
- one has a single red plastic band on it and goes into one of the L2 terminals and
- the other has 2 red plastic bands and goes into the other L2 terminal.

I bought the new double dimmer from BandQ (metal case type) but the wiring diagram is rather unclear. any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Regards

Sponsored Links
maybe I should elaborate on the problem -
the new switch has the L1 and L2 terminals but also a wiggly line with an arrow through it. The diagram shows all 3 in use in some way or another but it differs from the original setup with the standard double switch.

I assume the plain red is the live feed for both with the other 2 cables representing the feed for each light. I can also assume that the 3 black wires are the return neutrals for the 2 lights linking to the remaining neutral for the circut.

I tried replacing the wires as per the original switch but this did not work and here in lies my problem.

If I get a multimetre and assess which neutral is for which light where should these go and what is the line with the arrow indicating??

thanks again for any help

put that red that is stripped twice into both ~ terminals.

the other 2 red wires go to both L1s.

The red stripped twice is the live feed, this is permenant live.
The other 2 reds are the live feeds to the 2 lights.
The blacks are neutrals, yes.

Green and Yellow is EARTH. You should have 3 of these, though the 3 cores may have been wrapped in one plastic sleeve. If you have a metal switch, you need to connect them to the earth terminal on the face plate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back