Double entry valve / inlet-outlet microbore rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Be warned - very dumb question coming up !!

I am about to put TRV's on my microbore system, but looking at some posts here I am confused.

What are "Double entry" valves and what are "seperate inlet -outlet" valves ?

Our rads have one feed on either side of the rad, so I guess this is the latter in the cases above ? Will I have any problems fitting TRV's to this ?

Also, would you reccomend that I get a converter to convert the microbore inlet to 15mm so I can put standard 15mm TRV's on, or are the microbore trv's that you can buy OK ?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but at least it may have given you a giggle! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Most rads have bottom opposite end some micro bore systems, although not too common have a double valve on one end with a small pipe which
fits in side the rad about third of the way to mimic the efect of the
opposite end (but internally) this with its very neat external appearence
is great in theory but does allow for a sludge build up after many years use.probably the easiest soulution to most micro bore upgrades
would be to cut off under the floor on both pipe ends fit a compression
convertor 8/10-15mm and come up or down the wall with regular fittings
and valves.I personally as i decorate each room do this and the whole house now apears to have a std. system.Truth is only found under the floor.
H.T.H -P

thanks for that......

our pipes go horizontally into the wall, so I presume that they then go down under the floorboards ?

what about downstairs (we have concrete floors) - would you suggest to leave the pipes as microbore here, as I guess the only way to cut them is to dig a hole in the wall ?! ?

Leave the pipes in the wall, cut off above the cieling and run Chrome pipes down the wall ?. Do your pipes crack the plaster when hot, through expansion. Another downside of microbore :(

Sponsored Links
There's nothing wrong with microbore properly installed. Just use TRVs with 8mm or 10mm connections, or use 15 x 8/10 reducers with 15mm TRVs.

Have seen a number of posts discussing TRV's with microbore.
It seems few are aware of 8/10mm TRV's. Yes they do exist. Danfoss certainly do an 8/10 version of their RAS D. Honeywell also do most TRV's in 8/10mm.
Much neater and certainly simpler than using adapters. With the movement available most of the time no pipework change is needed.
If merchants don't stock them they should certainly be able to get hold of them.

Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back