Double gang Two lights

The absence of insulation surely serves as very clear identification.
Excatly. It's bare, and connected to the earth terminal of the device, and in applicable cases to a metal box. What else would it be but an earth/ground?

... talking of which, is there actually a requirement for things such as bonding conductors and earthing conductors to be insulated? Without looking carefully, I'm not at all sure that there is. They certainly didn't used to be in many cases.
Not sure what BS7671 says about those now, but the one which used to be required to be insulated throughout its length was the conductor running from the earth electrode to the "E" terminal of the old voltage-operated ELCB. Wiring on the "F" side of the coil didn't matter.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what BS7671 says about those now, but the one which used to be required to be insulated throughout its length was the conductor running from the earth electrode to the "E" terminal of the old voltage-operated ELCB. Wiring on the "F" side of the coil didn't matter.
Well, yes, but that conductor from earth electrode to the VOELCB would effectively be what we would now call an extraneous-c-p, and which (under fault conditions) could be at a very different potential from that of the CPCs, exposed-c-ps etc. in the installation - so it would be essential that one could not touch it at the same time as CPCs/exposed-c-ps etc. However, that's only because of the relatively high impedance of the VOELCB coil. If, as now is always the case, all parts of the CPC/earth electrode etc. system are connected together via very low impedance connections, that risk does not arise, so I can't see that there is an argument for any of the protective conductors to be insulated (unless to provide {a small degree of} 'mechanical and environmental protection').

Kind Regards, John

anyone who knows anything at all about electricity would surely realise that a bare conductor could not possibly be anything other than a CPC (or other protective conductor).
Unless it's a busbar...
Well, yes, but (a) I thought we were talking about cables and (b) I think busbars come into a different category, not requiring any 'identification' - I have not seen any requirement for busbars to be 'sleeved' with identifiers of an appropriate colour!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes John, it's off the topic, not something you would do is it :LOL:
I think it's really just people trying to appear "clever" by thinking up off-topic scenarios which contradict what I have said about the on-topic issue.

Kind Regards, John

I have not seen any requirement for busbars to be 'sleeved' with identifiers of an appropriate colour!
They very often are. I mean distribution busbars, not the things you get in a CU.
Well, this is a DIY forum - and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I have hardly ever seen, and never have worked with/on, "distribution busbars".

Kind Regards, John

Well, yes, but that conductor from earth electrode to the VOELCB would effectively be what we would now call an extraneous-c-p, and which (under fault conditions) could be at a very different potential from that of the CPCs, exposed-c-ps etc. in the installation - so it would be essential that one could not touch it at the same time as CPCs/exposed-c-ps etc.
The reason it needed to be insulated though was to avoid possible parallel paths so that the "E" side of the coil was connected solely to the reference electrode, which needed to be placed outside the resistance gradient area of anything else connected to the "F" side. If you ran a bare conductor from ELCB to electrode, there would be a good chance of creating a path via the building fabric to equipment which was connected directly to the "F" side of the coil.

anyone who knows anything at all about electricity would surely realise that a bare conductor could not possibly be anything other than a CPC (or other protective conductor).

should not possibly....

should not possibly....
I'm not so sure about that. IF they "knew anything at all about electricity", I think they probably would (as well as should) realise that! If they did not realise that, then I would say that they did not "know anything at all about electricity"!

Kind Regards, John

The reason it needed to be insulated though was to avoid possible parallel paths so that the "E" side of the coil was connected solely to the reference electrode, which needed to be placed outside the resistance gradient area of anything else connected to the "F" side. If you ran a bare conductor from ELCB to electrode, there would be a good chance of creating a path via the building fabric to equipment which was connected directly to the "F" side of the coil.
Well, that's a functional reason for wanting insulation. However, what I said about the 'safety' reason also applies, since there could be an appreciable pd between the E and F terminals (potentially up to almost full supply voltage, until the device operated). These days, of course, deliberate introduction of a significant impedance anywhere in the protective conductor system would be a definite non-no!

Kind Regards, John

should not possibly....
Bernard might manage to create that scenario with a combination of ELV lighting on exposed cables and his penchant for discarding separation and earthing ELV supplies.

I have not seen any requirement for busbars to be 'sleeved' with identifiers of an appropriate colour!
They very often are. I mean distribution busbars, not the things you get in a CU.
Well, this is a DIY forum - and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I have hardly ever seen, and never have worked with/on, "distribution busbars".

Kind Regards, John
I really think that if you are going to make statements that are only true in a particular context, you should specify that context.

I really think that if you are going to make statements that are only true in a particular context, you should specify that context.
That is strictly true, but I think that the name of this website (and, in this particular case, the nature of the discussion) should have made the context extremely clear to everyone - even to those who were able to think of a commercial/industrial context in which the statement might not always be true.

Also bear in mind that my statement was also based on my personal knowledge/experience (and I certainly don't claim omniscience!) - as I said, I've hardly ever seen a distribution busbar, and, of the very few I've seen, I cannot recall ever having seen one which was colour-identified. I therefore had no reason not to believe that my statement was true in all contexts.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back