Double Gates Push Open When Bolted & Padlocked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had some gates made about 12 months ago..

The other week I found the left side of the double gates completely open, but still padlocked with bolts across.

The other half was adamant I was dozy and shut the gate without putting the bolts into the receptacles?!

Anyway..

Some scaffolders have been today and managed to open the double gates before I had chance to get out and unlock them.

So it turns out, if you pull the two cane bolts up, you can turn the latch and easily pull the gates open whilst the padlock is still on and both bolts across!

Is it because the bolts aren't long enough? The single gate is absolutely fine.

Thanks,
chaoticj

Attachments

• IMG20221220140308.jpg
    IMG20221220140308.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Easiest answer would be to fit a hasp and staple, fitted with a good padlock, across the central area of both doors.
We have very large, metal section framed, mesh gates in work. They have drop bolts and a sliding, lockable bar to fit a padlock through. If the padlock is not put through the end hole of the sliding bar, that passes through the other gate, you can lift the drop bolts and simply push both gates wide open. I had to point this out to the night security company that does external checks because they always placed the padlock in the central hole.

a big hasp and staple would do the job.

i have a couple of enormous Ingersoll ones similar to this vertical Chbb if you're interested.

off warehouse gates.

extremely heavy

ChubbHaspandStaple_b_950x950.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you @conny and @JohnD where would I put the hasp and staple? In the middle? I remember now, the old gate had one.

Is it possible to get longer padlock bolts as well? Thank you very much!

if in the middle, it would hold the gates together so the bolt wouldn't come out

but one near the top and one near the bottom would be better and you wouldn't need the bolts

they are intended for a heavyweight padlock like a Battleship, but an ERA Big 6 would do.

padlocks with brass levers are very durable outdoors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back