Double glazed window handle kaput

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, this one needs to be fixed of SWMBO will not be happy.

I have a double glazed window with a handle to open it, and a lock.

What happens now, is when I turn the handle, the spindle just spins in the lock mechanism. I took the handle off, and right enough, where the spindle from the handle enters the lock is now totally rounded, and no longer squre like the spindle.

So, how do i replace the rounded part. What is its proper name etc. Is it a hard job, or fairly easy? Or, just forget ot all, and for the hassle get a locksmith/window type person.

Sponsored Links
What you have is an espag locking system, easy enough job to do but if the window is locked then its a bit of a pain to open.

If its open then take handle off, remove the self tapers holding the mechanism on, remove and take measurements, you'll need the the length of the mechanism, how many cams or mushrooms are on it, the backset, whether its inline or offset etc etc, try here......

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=1

http://www.mdgrepairs.co.uk/espag-window-locks

Any brand names or numbers on the strip will help

thanks Crank,

Ok, tomorrow I will take it apart an get measurements and photos etc. SWMBO doesnt know, so it will be a nice surprise for her, considering its been broken for about 1yr :)

Sponsored Links
OK,

Here is a pic of the broken mech.

978158554_eocPP-XL.jpg

Here are two pics with the measurements annotated.

978159311_7gGjR-XL.jpg

In case you cant see them, its 600mm long when both ends are pushed into each other, the mech is 120mm long, and 25mm high from the top of the bar.

978159371_nb4R4-L.jpg

The width of the mech is 4mm, the thicker part of the bar is 12mm wide, and where it tapers off, its only 8mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back