Double Glazing, is it worth it??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a large house which still has all of the original windows, with shutters on the downstairs (I am living in Belgium where this is common)

The windows are generally in good condition but are single glazed. As I see it I have 3 options - leave everything as it is, install double glazed units in to the existing frames (room to do it but problems with weights on the large downstairs sash windows), or replace.

I am a bit loath to replace what are generally good frames (if a little drafty in places) and I wonder is the warmth and energy saving really that worthwhile compared to the costs, and more importantly, will restricting airflow effect and older house in an adverse way?

Any comments or advice would be gratefully recieved

Sponsored Links
Double glazing unit take years to get your money back,it just basically a luxury item.
In the UK we have to apply permission from building control to do with the government heat & energy saving the planet :rolleyes:
The problem today we are so well insulated which cause more condensation problem and making us ill !!!
I would give your windows a major overhaul and maybe use secondary glazing in the cold spell season.It would be a shame to do away with sash windows as they are not many around anymore...

I see you are my guardian angel today!!

I thought of just refurbishing the windows and placing in double glazed panes where they were not sash windows. There is plenty of depth to the frames and so they should be able to take them.

The only area I was not sure about was where there are some stained glass panes. Do you know if it is possible to get these sealed in to a double glazed unit somehow? They are really nice but I am too afraid of damage to them to leave them in situ unprotected.

I understand what you mean about sealing houses and causes too many problems. I am surprised heat exchangers of some form are not more popular to allow warm, fresh air to be introduced more regularly

Thanks again for all the help today

Sponsored Links
Antwerpman said:
The only area I was not sure about was where there are some stained glass panes. Do you know if it is possible to get these sealed in to a double glazed unit somehow? They are really nice but I am too afraid of damage to them to leave them in situ unprotected.
Normally they can copy your stained glass design onto the seal unit which is only stick-on lead type and back filled colour glass paint,but it can be done to have the original stained glass in between sealed unit if you can find a company willingly to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back