Double pole isolating switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of buying a fan for the bathroom - Vent-Axia Silhouette 100T.
Reading the notes on the wiring, it mentions to use a double pole isolating switch. What is this? Is this in addition to the pull cord I have?

Sponsored Links
p1449396_x.jpg
These are actual three pole switches. Many fans need 3 live connections.
1 Line permanent feed.
2 Line Activation feed. Often connected to lights.
3 Neutral feed.
There are many ways to wire fans from with light switch and run on timer to humidity controls. It is normal where the switch is multi function i.e. also works lights or automatic i.e. humidity control to also include an isolator but if the normal method of switching will act as isolator anyway it will not be needed.

my apologies ericmark - thought it was just talking about initial power coming from a fused spur.

Sponsored Links
my apologies ericmark - thought it was just talking about initial power coming from a fused spur.

You may be right and if there is not already a RCD in use it may need a
p1431634_x.jpg
there is always a little guess work. See here for more details I also note sizes the first on I found was rated at 13A but
This one only rated 10A
p2034365_l.jpg
which when supplied from a lighting circuit it not a problem but supplied from else where maybe?

I also said nothing about Part P I leave that for BAS to add!

I am now confused. If I am using a pull cord to operate the light and the fan in the bathroom, do I need an isolating switch?

Thanks for the replies so far.

yes

your fan is I think a "T" timed model, so it has a permanent live as well as a switched live (from the light switch)

also a light switch is single pole not dual pole.

so you need a TP switch to safely cut permant live, switched live, and neutral (e.g. when cleaning, maintaining or replacing teh fan)

A TP switch is the best solution for isolation for a timer fan. They can be rocker type, fixed outside the zones, or pullcord type.

In addition, you need a switch to trigger the fan to come on, either via the light switched feed or an independent switch if you want them seperate.

There is a way of feeding a timer fan with a DP switch, but it means that when the power to the fan is isolated, so is the bathroom light.... :cry:

There is a way of feeding a timer fan with a DP switch, but it means that when the power to the fan is isolated, so is the bathroom light.... :cry:
Not if you take the supply to the fan side of the DP switch via a switched FCU....

Tripple Pole i.e. 3 sets of contacts instead of Double Poled which is 2 sets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back