Double socket boiler fuse help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help.

I have a mains gas combi boiler with a 13a fuse switch socket.

When I turn the fused socket off - the boiler goes off.

When I turn the socket on - the boiler is on.

In the same room on an adjacent wall there is a standard double plug socket.

When I turn the fused socket off - the plug socket does nothing.

When I turn the fused socket on - the plug socket is on.

However, when the fused socket is on with something plugged in the fuse in the fused socket blows, the fuse box trips and my boiler goes off also.

Have checked all the wiring and everything is where is should be.
Is there a way to get this socket working?
Is it a simple matter of upping the 13a fuse to cope with the boiler and socket load? Or would this put my boiler at risk?

All help and advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
PartID_CU.jpg
I think we may have names wrong? Today fuses are limited to main supply fuses, and fuses in the plug or fused connection unit. I am guessing the thing switching off is either a RCD or a RCBO which is a RCD and MCB combined, either way they both have a test button, pictures are always good.

For a BS 1363 socket (13 amp) the fuse is BS 1362 which only come in 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 13 amp, you can't get any bigger. But a boiler typically uses a 3 amp fuse, so please say what is tripping or rupturing.

I have a mains gas combi boiler with a 13a fuse switch socket.

When I turn the fused switch off - the boiler goes off.

When I turn the switch on - the boiler is on.

In the same room on an adjacent wall there is a standard double plug socket.

When I turn the fused switch off - the plug socket does nothing.

When I turn the fused switch on - the plug socket is on.

However, when the fused socket
There are no fused sockets.

is on with something plugged in the fuse in the fused socket ??? blows, the fuse box trips and my boiler goes off also.
Ok. Do you mean when just anything is plugged in?
Or have you plugged in too much?

Have checked all the wiring and everything is where is should be.
Is there a way to get this socket working?
Is it a simple matter of upping the 13a fuse to cope with the boiler and socket load? Or would this put my boiler at risk?
No, there are no fuses higher than 13A for the fused switch.
Is there not another 13A fuse in the plug that you are using? If so, does this not blow?

I am afraid that what you have written does not adequately describe what is happening.

Apologies - I have put some photos of the fuse in question.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
That isolating switch is feeding the boiler and the socket, but it has a 3A fuse in it, so anything over 3A you use on the socket blows the fuse.

Would upping the fuse to 5/7/10 cause a risk to the boiler?

I wouldn't do it.
Just use the socket for charging your phone or anything low rated, under 3A.

Would upping the fuse to 5/7/10 cause a risk to the boiler?
In theroy no, the boiler should have internal fuses to protect it, but in practice we have no idea if it has, if the boiler plugs in, and there is a 3 amp fuse in the plug, then the FCU can have a larger fuse in it, but it seems from pictures some one has taken a supply from what should have been a dedicated boiler supply.

Since all is surface mounted it would not be a big job to change it, if the supply is RCD protected, the problem today is new sockets need RCD protecting, so to change from a single FCU to a grid switch with multi-fuses would mean the new items will need RCD protection, so technically may not be permitted, it would not stop me in my own house, but an electrician may refuse to alter.

The load side had been used to feed the switched spur.
If the spur was taken from the ring side the switch was work as normal as would the spur.
I guess the combi slinger was scared of the mains.

thanks to everyone who contributed.
I will stick with things under 3a for now, and will contact the electrician to check if it’s an easy adjustment to take the spit from the ring side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back