double socket from cu via 16a mcb.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi is it safe to add a double socket using one 2.5mm cable about 2metres long direct from a spare 16a mcb in the cu or do i need to add a 13a fused spur before the socket,what i intend to do is plug in my outside lights and use the other socket to plug one of those rcd protected external single sockets ,also is this work notifiable.
thanks .

Sponsored Links
13A fused spur is not required.
The new inside socket must be RCD protected, so you won't need another RCD for the outside socket.
The work is notifiable.

Thanks flameport for the quick reply
is there any way i can add a double socket from the cu without it being notifiable .I can't spur of another socket as there isn,t one close enough.

Add a spur to an existing socket circuit at the consumer unit.

Same requirments re. RCDs.

Sponsored Links
Why is is notifiable to connect a spur at the CU to an existing circuit?

Thanks flameport for the quick reply
is there any way i can add a double socket from the cu without it being notifiable .I can't spur of another socket as there isn,t one close enough.

As far as I am aware one is only permitted to change like for like in a CU without notifying unless the work was planned before 2004 when the regulations came in.

This shows what the IET/BSI regulations allow.

This shows what the IET/BSI regulations allow.

And that explicitly allows him to connect the spur to the ring final MCB in the consumer unit. Such an extension of the circuit is non notifiable providing it's not in a kitchen etc.

Thanks guys for your advice,so just to clarify i can spur the double socket from the 32a mcb for the ring which is on the rcd side of the cu with a single 2.5mm cable.
Thanks again.

Hi is it safe to add a double socket using one 2.5mm cable about 2metres long direct from a spare 16a mcb in the cu ....
The work is notifiable.
Is this not an example of 'the darker side of regulation'? It looks as if the bureaucracy is likely to cause the lomofore to change from his original idea, with just one L conductor terminated in an already-installed MCB and 16A MCB protection for his cable to an alternative which probably involves three L conductors terminated at an MCB and 32A protection for the cable. If it were not for the bureaucratic considerations, which of those two options would you say was preferable'?

Kins Regards, John

Hi is it safe to add a double socket using one 2.5mm cable about 2metres long direct from a spare 16a mcb in the cu ....
The work is notifiable.
Is this not an example of 'the darker side of regulation'? It looks as if the bureaucracy is likely to cause the lomofore to change from his original idea, with just one L conductor terminated in an already-installed MCB and 16A MCB protection for his cable to an alternative which probably involves three L conductors terminated at an MCB and 32A protection for the cable. If it were not for the bureaucratic considerations, which of those two options would you say was preferable'?

Kins Regards, John

I think it's a point well made, JohnW. In this case I wouldn't express too strong a preference for the OP's original plan, but it wouldn't be too difficult to think of situations where the avoidance of the requirement to notify resulted in a contrived solution that, while compliant, one would not design from scratch.

The smoke alarm / FCU ongoing saga is an example (although I would only install smokes on either a dedicated or well-used light cct).

Anyway - it doesn't matter what he does inside - the outside socket is notifiable and the outside lights should be too.....

Anyway - it doesn't matter what he does inside - the outside socket is notifiable and the outside lights should be too.....
I wondered about that - but he says that he intends to 'plug in' the outside lights and sockets (into the new double socket). If the plugged-in lights could be described as 'portable', and the plugged-in outside socket could be described as an 'extension lead', do you feel it would be notifiable?

People obviously do sometimes plug portable lights (for use on patio etc.), or extension leads for their garden tools, into indoor sockets - and I'm sure they do not do any 'notifying' every time they propose to plug one in :)

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back