double storey extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The people next door to me are having a double storey extension built
They submitted the plans which I agreed to but now upon building they are building it half a metre closer to my boudary the plans submitted to the council show it at the original distance of one + half metres from the boundary are they in breach of planning regulations

Sponsored Links
They are only permitted to build what has been approved so they are in breach yes.

Assuming you do not approve of their cheekyness then you probably ought to have a word with them first, if they fail to change things PDQ get on the blower to the council ASAP.

In some situations, amended plans may have been submitted to the LPA, but even still... you would or should have been consulted about those amendments during the planning decision process. And... it has been known for layouts to slightly change when they come to build it on site. Some things can be agreed on site with the BCO but when it involves increasing the size of the buiding, then the BCO should have advised the clients to speak with the LPA.

FMT said to speak to your neighbours first, but I personally would speak to the LPA and have them check it out. Reason being is if you spoke to your neighbours and they told you it has got bigger and they're not going to bother going back into planning, then they will know you will speak to the LPA and report it. You can report it anonymously if you were worried about being found out. Because one assumes, any neighbour could have reported it.

Hi,
Thank for your replies
Half a metre does not sound a lot but its makes a big difference on a double strorey extension also to the position of windows etc.
Can I insist on demolition of the part built extension and have it built in the correct place as shown on the approved plans

Sponsored Links
FMT said to speak to your neighbours first, but I personally would speak to the LPA and have them check it out. Reason being is if you spoke to your neighbours and they told you it has got bigger and they're not going to bother going back into planning, then they will know you will speak to the LPA and report it. You can report it anonymously if you were worried about being found out. Because one assumes, any neighbour could have reported it.

I would agree 100% with the 'above' advice given. I wouldn't bother speaking with the neighbour in question either, nor would I make an acknowledgement of your concerns. As this could lead towards animosity.

LA's are suppose to make a final check on finished development, however: the reality is 'so wot different'. So you'll have to 'nip this one in the bud' ASAP! if not! there is the possibility that your neighbour could apply for retrospective planning permission.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply but how do I go about nipping it in the bud
Would it be advisable for me to employ the services of a solicitor
Regards
George

Hi,
Would it be advisable for me to employ the services of a solicitor

If you have the money, then it's up to you. I personally wouldn't because you could find out the majority of information the solicitor would find. They'd only approach the LPA like you would do, but they'd charge you in doing so.

In the first instance, speak to your LPA and maybe the case officer involved.

Hi,
I might add also that they are putting in a top storey window directly overlooking my back door. This window was not shown on the approved plans.

What is the purpose of a planning officer if a person can build what he wants then apply for retrospective planning permission this takes away my right to object.
I have been in touch with the planning officer several times all I get is that it has been put down as an enforcement and that an officer will investigate the matter

You will have your right to object when they apply for retrospective Planning Permission. The extension will be decided on its own merits and the fact that it is already built will (should) have no bearing on their decision but I understand your cynicism.

I would definitely speak to your local planning authority first on this matter. Call up as a general enquiry before disclosing too many details. It sounds like what they're doing is definitely in breach of the agreed plans and if the local authority were to find this out after it was built there is no doubt that the authority would submit an enforcement notice to get the extension amended to the original plans. If you act upon it now it could save your neighours a lot of hassle in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back