double switch for hall/ bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im redecorating my house and decided to change all switches and sockets i've done all but 1 which is the double switch on the top of my landing which turns the bathroom light on and turns the landing light on aswel ( there is also a swith at the bottom of the stairs to turn the hall/ landing light on, i am having a little trouble wireing the bathroom/landing swith up. i have 3 sets of wires going into the switch 1 set of wires have 1 red 1 blue 1 yellow wire, the second have 2 red wires and the 3rd also have 2 red wires ,
hopefully sum 1 will be able to tel me which wires go where on the new switch, thanks

Sponsored Links
need wiring from the downstairs switch too..

with power off, connect one of the twin reds together and the power back on ( after making sure the rest of the wires are in connector blocks for safety )..

if the bathroom light comes on, that's the switch wire for that on and goes into one of the 2 switches in L1 and Com..

I assume you mean switch?

Have a look how the bottom of stairs switch is wired; which core goes to common and which to L1+L2, at the top switch on the switch that you want to work the stair lights, duplicate this with the 3c+e, and then put one side of the twin red switchdrop for the stair lights (trial and error i guess if you didn't mark them!), in with L1+L2, then on the switch that works the bathroom, connect the twin red switchdrop to common and L1

i have got the switch to turn on from downstairs but if its turned on down stairs i can not turn it off up stairs and vise versa im not sure which the red blue and yellow wires are supose 2 go to up or down stairs?

Sponsored Links
Look inside both switches.

The cable with red, yellow and blue needs to be in the same terminals on both switches.

Or to be more precise, whatever colour has been used for the COMMON terminal of the downstairs switch, you need to use same for the COMMON of the upstairs switch.

Something pretty unintelligible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation

Socket:
MKK2757.JPG

Switch:
MKK4870.JPG

Look inside both switches.

The cable with red, yellow and blue needs to be in the same terminals on both switches.

Or to be more precise, whatever colour has been used for the COMMON terminal of the downstairs switch, you need to use same for the COMMON of the upstairs switch.

i have tried that i had yellow going to common, red going to L1 and blue to L2 on the switch downstairs and upstairs but if 1 is on, i am unable 2 turn it off from the other switch

And do you have the switch wires from the landing light connected properly, one red in L1 and the other red in L2?

If you can send photographs or diagrams of your current set up...

Work safely.

i have tried that i had yellow going to common, red going to L1 and blue to L2 on the switch downstairs and upstairs but if 1 is on, i am unable 2 turn it off from the other switch
What is wrong with you?

Why won't you write properly?

oh BAS, get a life..
while I agree that using "2" to represent "to" is bad, using "1" instead of "one" is perfectly acceptable..
as for the capitalised I's, I sometimes don't bother either, nor do I very ofter start sentences with a capitol when typing..
on the flip side, when writing I only use capitals and never "joined up" writing ( much to the chargrin of the teachers.. )

my Parents were called into school one day when I refused to write in regular writing and to write joined up, and refused to write in fountain pen ( as one science teacher demanded ).

My parents backed me up however and told the principal that the notes taken in class were for my benefit and that as long as I could read them then it didn't matter if they were written in capitals, felt tip pen, chalk or even greek if I so chose..

given the chicken scratch that was often handed in by the other students, at least they could always read mine..

while I agree that using "2" to represent "to" is bad, using "1" instead of "one" is perfectly acceptable..
Not unless the context is that of a number, which in this case it is not.

as for the capitalised I's, I sometimes don't bother either, nor do I very ofter start sentences with a capitol when typing..
Well you should... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back