Double Switch to Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been having a browse but struggling to find help on here to match my situation.

I should say up front that for some reason in my area there doesn't seem to be any sparks that just want to change a switch...well not at least in the next 4-6 weeks!

Anyway, to explain, I have a two gang switch in my vestibule. One controls the outside light and the other the vestibule light. There is another switch for the vestibule light in the hall so my thinking is to decommission the switch for the vestibule in the vestibule and just use wiring for outside light for the timer. Problem is when I look at the back I am not sure if I can just terminate the wires for the indoor light with a insulation block and connect up the timer? Is it more complicated than that and I'd need a spark?

I've attached pictures but any help and advise would be appreciated.

IMG_0983.JPGIMG_0984.JPGIMG_0985.JPGIMG_0986.JPG

I should say though that the switch for the outside light is the left switch or the one that is off in the picture. :)

Thanks for any help.
Chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, and yes there is only one outside light.

Here's the other switch for the indoor light.

IMG_0987.JPG

Sponsored Links
Normally it would just be transfer Com & L1 to Live & Load respectively - but

I can't tell what the extra brown is for.

Are there any more wires in the "other" back box?

This looks like a bodge carried out by someone with very little electrical knowledge. Somewhere else there other electrical terminations that make this work, possibly in the back of the lights or a junction box.

And I'm not clear what you are trying to achieve and why do you need a timer?

Thanks for the replies folks. Bit alarmed by the possibility that there is some bodging to my electrics as this is more or less a brand new house and we purchased from quite a well known and respected home builder. I've certainly never touched them, yet! :)

The only other wires in the back of either of the boxes are Blue Neutrals which are connected together in a single insulator block in the two gang switch.

I am really just trying to fit the timer mostly for security purposes. We don't always remember or are there to switch the light on and I get annoyed by security lights as cats etc turn them on and off. The light we have is also relatively decorative and so we like having the light on during the evening hours.

Ok.

In view of the unknowns, I don't think it would be wise to advise anything on here.

I suggest you get an electrician to determine what is what.

Assuming there are no other wires hidden in the hall switch, as I see it, this is quite straight forward.
The two brown wires in com of outside switch go to live of the timer.
The single brown of outzide switch go to load of timer.
Brown and grey of vestibule switch connected together in choc bloc.
Black becomes redundant and to be protected in a choc bloc, ideally at both ends.
I dont see any problems or botches in this set-up, in fact by many of todays installs this is quite good.

Thanks for the advise here folks and agree the suggestion from Sunray seems logical, there is still an element of doubt and what I suspected in the first place so I am just going to see if I can get an electrician to sort this one. :)

Assuming there are no other wires hidden in the hall switch, as I see it, this is quite straight forward.
The two brown wires in com of outside switch go to live of the timer.
The single brown of outzide switch go to load of timer.
Brown and grey of vestibule switch connected together in choc bloc.
Black becomes redundant and to be protected in a choc bloc, ideally at both ends.
I dont see any problems or botches in this set-up, in fact by many of todays installs this is quite good.

So please explain how the 2 way has a 3c t&e at each end without any lives or switchlines

This looks like a bodge carried out by someone with very little electrical knowledge.

Huh?

Somewhere else there other electrical terminations that make this work, possibly in the back of the lights or a junction box.

Yes. It would be nice to see inside the vestibule ceiling rose, or whatever.

So please explain how the 2 way has a 3c t&e at each end without any lives or switchlines

Somewhere there is some more wiring that we've not seen yet - but IF the current configuration works correctly and is safe (IF!) then Sunray's instructions will work, irrespective of where that wiring is or how it's connected.

Edit - wrong, no extra wiring.

Last edited:
The brown from the strapper cable (brown,black,grey) is connected to the outside light switch. Presumably line.
This goes to Com at the far switch, making it actually a two strapper system.
Another twin & earth cable goes to the light from Com at this switch and neutral.

So, SUNRAY is probably right but can we be absolutely sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back