Down lighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I, sorry WE are fitting down lighters in our bathroom, the problem is that we've had the room re plastered and skimmed. on the ceiling they (the guys plastering), fitted new plasterer board up then skimmed it on top of the old ceiling, (is this right?).
So will the down lighters fit into this (its twice as deep - and the skim)?
thanks for any advice.........If not could i use NO NAILS to hold them in??

Sponsored Links
Depends on the fitting. If its got spring arms then it may stay in place (try removing the bulb does the fitting stay in place?). The other issues can be heat - if the fitting is over surrounded by plasterwork - especially if the orginal ceiling was a lathe & plaster with combustible wood strips in it.

The best solution is to cut out a square of the old ceiling above the hole. A 6"x6" square should be sufficent. You need to make sure there is no insulation in that areas as well.

You cannot glue the fitting in. Apart from the heat issue imagine the mess when the transformer (if ELV) needs replacing an you have to pull the skim off to get it out.

Thanks, no, its not lathe & plaster so thats no problem, And they are mains voltage. The thought about sticking them in was because i didn't know if the springs are man enough, and because they are mains voltage and the bulb come out from the bottom i shouldn't need to remove them. What do you think?

If you bend the springs and it stays in when you test changing the bulb then it should be ok. I'd try the test on a swivel chair - it adds to the sense of adventure.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Brownie, do you have many friends. Tell you what, seeing as though there's no light at the mo i could make a ring of fire and leave the electric turned on..... I do like a challenge. :)

Don't forget the blindfold.....

Seriously, though, most recessed fitting mfrs say what thickness of ceiling their fittings will acommodate. If not, give em a ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back