Help-recommend good quality dimmable LED light fittings (down lighters)

IME you need a mix of up as well as down lighting. They can be very harsh on the eye, even dimmed.

Sponsored Links
I have uploaded pics of the room and a picture of one of the lights we have taken out. The lights are old and take a 60W ES lamp. The pictures of the room make it look brighter than it is and with only 4 lights working in these pics.

We just need the lights to be abit brighter than they are currently. Although they are 60w lamps, the lamps are set higher up away from the ceiling and also one of the lamps doesn't work & we took out the other one.

So would the enlite dimmable lights I mentioned earlier provide a similar light or do I need to look at something else? Or can I still buy similar lights? My teenager spends most nights in her room and would like it that bit brighter, but not blinding for doing college art work.

There is definitely a potential problem with lights (of any sort, but particularly 'downlights) on a 'flat' (horizontal) ceiling above the head end of a bed.
That's a bit different from a 'bedroom'. For something which is only used as a bedroom, many/most people tend to prefer fairly modest general lighting, with bedside/'reading' lights for reading etc. in bed and lights in the vicinity of dressing tables etc.

Assuming that it is a fairly light colour, shining light towards (rather than away from), the sloping part of the ceiling/wall might be more effective.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks John, it's trying to get the balance right. My daughter thinks the current lights aren't bright enough but also doesn't want them too bright as she gets headaches. No pleasing her.

In general are the round panel light I linked above a more distributed light shining down or piercing like the smaller downlights in my bathroom?

Cheers

Thanks John, it's trying to get the balance right. My daughter thinks the current lights aren't bright enough but also doesn't want them too bright as she gets headaches. No pleasing her.
I'm very familiar with daughters, although both of mine now have their own homes to worry about! I would have thought that modest 'general background lighting' supplementing with a bedside/reading light and a decent light/lamp over the desk or whatever on which she does her college work (and make-up!) might be the best approach!
In general are the round panel light I linked above a more distributed light shining down or piercing like the smaller downlights in my bathroom?
It's not rocket science - in general, the larger the area of the light source, the less 'piercing' will be the light (and vice versa). There are also the different types of 'white light' to consider ('warm', 'cool', 'daylight' etc.).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes you would think 6x 50-60w bulbs would be bright enough.

If I went for the 6w version of the enlite panel light, woukd that be a better option than the 9w. Main problem I can see is that the 6w lamp is smaller in size again than the 9w.

I though led's were the way to go, how wrong could I be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back