Help-recommend good quality dimmable LED light fittings (down lighters)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

I am looking to replace 6 x old, large down lighters (normal 60w GLS lamp) with led's. I'm plastering the holes and then cutting new smaller holes.

Any advise on which fittings to buy woukd be appreciated. If a normal dimmable switch doesn't work I'm willing to buy a varilight dimmer to rectify this but would try a standard one first.

What would you recommend in a 29'x29' bedroom with coombed ceilings.

Cheers
Fluff

Sponsored Links
I would strongly recommend not fitting smaller ones, and certainly not increasing the number of them.

Do you really fancy lying in bed and having a lot of recessed torches shining into your eyes? LED downlights can be very piercing....

The there are (quite possibly) the issues of insulation cover over them, draughts from them....

Large recessed lights (150-200mm ish, or rectangular panels) are great where what you really want is functional lighting (kitchens, hallways etc), but surely in a bedroom you want something a little less minimalist?

What's a coombed ceiling?

Thanks for replying. Hopefully the link below works for pictures of the type of ceiling we have. I'm not sure if this is the right name for a room built into the sloping ceiling of a roof?

https://goo.gl/images/UWIp8C

I don't want to replaster the full roof and fill in the holes to create two ceiling lights in the middle of the room. Therefore thought reducing the size of the 6 existing down lighters holes and then fitting smaller led's would be easier with a dimmer to control the intensity.

Do you know where I could get down lights with say a 170mm cutout to fit in the existing holes that take standard lamps?.i can't find anything on line and have been at this with different options for about a month.

Any advice woukd be really appreciated

Sponsored Links
you can get dimmable leds that fit 170mm holes
Google PL led theres 7watt up to about 32 watt, a 18w will fit your hole with adjustment

Like these but CHECK there dimmable versions

https://www.saving-light-bulbs.co.uk/commerical-leds/led-panels/round-panel-18w
Thanks will check this out in a minute.

Would this be a less harsh light? It says they are not dimmable but if I add the driver does this mean they then become dimmable? I can make the hole smaller if need be.
http://enlitelighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/EN-PLDD09

http://enlitelighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/EN-PL09B

ive used Click interceptor micro dimming- Very good can be angled and are IP rated.

Yes i think enlite sell a seperate dimmable driver if needed, may be better with warm white version as cool white may be too much.
Though check with them what dimmer you need

Enlite E8s are the way to go if you want a decent downlight. 73mm ish cutout. Not sure if they do an adjustable one but they make dimmable one

The new E6 Pro is supposed to be just as bright and 6w instead of 8w but have not fitted any yet to say if they're worth it or not

IP44, they are also Fire rated too up to 90 mins. So don't need hoods on fire rated ceilings.
Inceptor-Micro-Three.jpg

If you are planning on putting the lights in the sloping part of the ceiling, please dont.
The roof space will be stuffed full of thermal insulation, if you chop that out to provide clearance for the downlights, then you will lose heat and create cold spots around the lights. Moist air from the room will be drawn into the roof space where it will condense on the roof timbers..:(

If you are planning on putting the lights in the sloping part of the ceiling, please dont. The roof space will be stuffed full of thermal insulation, if you chop that out to provide clearance for the downlights, then you will lose heat and create cold spots around the lights. Moist air from the room will be drawn into the roof space where it will condense on the roof timbers..:(
That's all theoretically true, but it sounds as if the OP is planning to improve the situation in comparison with what he/she has presumably been living with for quite some time ....
I am looking to replace 6 x old, large down lighters (normal 60w GLS lamp) with led's. I'm plastering the holes and then cutting new smaller holes.

Kind Regards, John

If you are planning on putting the lights in the sloping part of the ceiling, please dont.
The roof space will be stuffed full of thermal insulation, if you chop that out to provide clearance for the downlights, then you will lose heat and create cold spots around the lights. Moist air from the room will be drawn into the roof space where it will condense on the roof timbers..:(
The 6 existing lights are in the flat part of the ceiling and are not covered by insulation. They look ugly, hence trying to replace and they will fail one day.
Enlite E8s are the way to go if you want a decent downlight. 73mm ish cutout. Not sure if they do an adjustable one but they make dimmable one

The new E6 Pro is supposed to be just as bright and 6w instead of 8w but have not fitted any yet to say if they're worth it or not
Someone mentioned that the smaller lights might be like shining a torch down into the room, especially over a bed. Are these going to be any different as they look similar?

Thanks will check this out in a minute.

Would this be a less harsh light? It says they are not dimmable but if I add the driver does this mean they then become dimmable? I can make the hole smaller if need be.
http://enlitelighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/EN-PLDD09

http://enlitelighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/EN-PL09B
I found these dimmable options on someone's recommendation above. Will these light the room better as they look like they have a diffuser rather than a direct beam down into the room rather than the suggestions above? Any advice is appreciated as we want the room to be bright enough to read books, do things, etc and for the light to radiate into the room under the sloped part of the ceiling. It is my daughters room and she will spend a lot of time in it doing college work, etc. Dimmable would be a better option if we can so she can turn the lights down when only watching telly, etc (or she just uses lamps).

Thanks

Someone mentioned that the smaller lights might be like shining a torch down into the room, especially over a bed.
There is definitely a potential problem with lights (of any sort, but particularly 'downlights) on a 'flat' (horizontal) ceiling above the head end of a bed.
... we want the room to be bright enough to read books, do things, etc and for the light to radiate into the room under the sloped part of the ceiling. It is my daughters room and she will spend a lot of time in it doing college work, etc.
That's a bit different from a 'bedroom'. For something which is only used as a bedroom, many/most people tend to prefer fairly modest general lighting, with bedside/'reading' lights for reading etc. in bed and lights in the vicinity of dressing tables etc.

Assuming that it is a fairly light colour, shining light towards (rather than away from), the sloping part of the ceiling/wall might be more effective.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back