Down lights - Low voltage or mains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am moving into a new house and will be installing downlights in all the rooms. Please can someone help me in making a decision on whether to go for low voltage (with transformer) or mains operated downlights. Ideally, I am looking for someone to summarise advantages and disadvatages in both.

Thanks in advance
KIK

Sponsored Links
You will get lots of other comments shortly about the suitability of downlighters, but I'll answer your specific question.

ELV lamps with transformers will give you a better quality of light and much longer life than mains voltage halogens.

Whether you want to be putting them in every room in the house is a different question!

Here's the main issue with downlights: running cost.

At the present you probably have a single pendant in each room. That's 60watts for the room.
Downlights do what they say, they light DOWN. So to get the equivalent light levels in the room you'll need maybe six downlights at 50watts. Thats five times as much electricity to light the same room.
So your electricity bill will go up by a factor of as much as five.

Are you CRAZY?
Do you want to give the electricity companies share price a further boost?
Don't you care about global warming?

And downlights, they are sooo last century.

Kikpop - recessed lighting can be OK, but only in large sizes.

The little 2" diameter ones came out of the retail display market, where they were designed to throw small pools of light onto individual items. Ever noticed how a common term for them is spotlights?

They are actually specifically designed to not be any good for providing general room illumination.

I referred to them as torches, and if you look at the business end of a Maglite you'll see a marked similarity to an MR16 lamp. Fiddling with the lamp technology does nothing to address the problems of the format.

In places like kitchens, bathrooms, WCs, possibly hallways and landings where you just want unobtrusive efficient lighting that just gets on and does the job, something like this is ideal:

Or, for kitchens in particular, there's a lot to recommend good old tried and trusted fluorescent strip lights. They don't have to look like this:

TNPP158.JPG
TNPPD2.JPG

For example the top right one here:

or these:

TLG_PLNR_F_CLIT.jpg

TLG_PRSM_F_01.jpg

And these are all from one maker.

Fluourescent lights can be dimmed. If you find one you like which isn't dimmable, look to see how easy it would be to replace the ballast with a dimmable one (which you can often find on fleaBay).

But you wouldn't want any of the above in living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms. Back to looking in lighting shops and websites - cast your net wider than the limited range of cr*p they have in the sheds. As the old saying goes, if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. And if all you do is look in DIY sheds everything that isn't hideous looks like a downlighter.

In terms of basic technology, as well as fluorescent and LED, look into magnetic induction lamps, dielectric barrier discharge lighting (Osram have been sitting on their Planon technology for b****y years, which is a shame), and Electron stimulated luminescence.

If you want LED, again go for larger sizes, e.g. the Thorn BaseLED.

Think if you could use cold cathode neons:

here's an example of that in a domestic kitchen showing that it isn't only suitable for nightclubs and hotel foyers:

(Ignore the fact that there are also torches in there :confused: )

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys. Some of you missed the essence of the question though. I wasn't asking whether or not I should be having down lights. Unfortunately, we have already drilled all the holes for them and the re-wring has been done. I am now merely deciding whether to opt for low-voltage or mains, and the advantages of both options.

Thank you.

As stated before the LV Lamps generally will last Longer than the 240v option , The LV give you a whiter/cleaner light in my opinion whereas the 240v are more of a softer yellow light .

Have you thought about LED`s as an option ?
Some of the more expensive LED Lamps are quite good now.

Lucky

Thanks Phil

Can anybody give me reasons to opt for mains down lights instead of LV other than they are cheaper to buy. (I'm looking at the longterm benefits)

Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies guys. Some of you missed the essence of the question though. I wasn't asking whether or not I should be having down lights. Unfortunately, we have already drilled all the holes for them and the re-wring has been done.
"Unfortunately" is right.

I am now merely deciding whether to opt for low-voltage or mains,
Why are you still asking that?

Are you not bothering to read the answers people are giving you?

PS - re the "low voltage or mains" question - please read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands[/QUOTE]

Having drilled the holes means that those lamps whose hole size is smaller than the holes you have drilled are no longer an option for you.

Long term benefit ? Cost of replacing lamps is a long term cost.

Ban sheds - Thanks for your reply. Of course I have read every response!

Bernard - I believe the Aurora lv and transformer options have the same diameter, so I can still decide!

I tend to spec for GU10 230v fittings - as they allow easy retrofit of LED lamps.

If the fittings are likely to keep their 50w lamps then I'd opt for 12v

ELV all the way. There is simply no contest when it comes to quality of the light output.

If you have not placed your order then look at LED.

My recommendation would be Halers evoLED

http://www.halers.com/neutral_white_nw/dl_wh_f_nw__halers_h2/24295_p.html

- Only use 8W
- Brighter than 50W halogen
- Come with a 7 year warrantee
- Have a 75000 hour life
- available in two colours Warm White (3000° kelvin) and Neutral White (4000° kelvin)

I have installed them for my customers and all of them have been very happy

If you need a bigger fitting JCC have a similar LED downlight with a 10 year warrantee
http://www.jcc-lighting.co.uk/products/fire-rated-downlights/fr-led-downlights/fireguard/jc94172

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back