Down pipe deadend!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our house has a down pipe that leads to a drain but the drain has a fairly solid lid on it... The water isn't draining away properly and now it is damaging the wall.

Not sure how to go about repairing. Is this a diy job and if not who should I get in? A roofer, a builder or a general handyman?

Pictures attached.

Grateful for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Hi Mummybear I must say I haven't seen a drain lid like that before so see if anyone else can help.

35777991.jpg

It`s not a proper drain lid - it`s a door from a Victorian kitchen range - cast iron , worth 2 bob weighed in ;)

Sponsored Links
Crikey! It is an oven door.... I'm feeling very unobservant right now :eek:
I've posted a pic of what's underneath which looks like a more standard drain fitting!

Presumably I just remove the oven door and all will be well?

Any ideas what i should do about the damage to the wall?

So long as the drain is working now, just leave it be......if you are feeling more adventurous, get down there with the marigolds and bale it out :p
Leave the oven door off and clear the leaves away from time to time.
The proper cover may hinge or simply lift off.
The wall will recover, just allow it to dry, and prevent any future splashing.
John :)

It's a normal gully drain, run the hose pipe down it for 10 minutes. If it does not overflow then you have no problem.

If blocked then remove the grid and use a rod with rubber plunger.

Andy

Hi if the wall is blown then it will need attention to prevent further damage. is it solid when you tap it? if so then area of render will need to be repaired. Also I think it would be worth coating area with 2 coats of thompsons waterseal.

Hello, thanks all. The oven door has been removed and the drain seems to be working ok. Goodness knows why the previous owners did that!!

There do seem to be holes at the bottom of the render. The wall seems fairly solid when tapped. Although I'm not sure quite what I'm listening for... Are there any other clues I should be looking for? The wallpaper on the other side of the wall has come loose presumably due to water getting through.

Is render repair straightforward? Can I just get some of this and bodge it on?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Render-Repair-Mortar-5kg/p/154073

Followed by some waterproof stuff as suggested and a bit of paint.

I'm guessing I need to be careful about trapping moisture in the wall? Any advice??

Thanks again and happy new year to everyone!

probably placed there when rendering the building or similar work to stop render (ironically) blocking the drain, and just forgotten about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back