Downlight fire regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are wanting to put some downlights into our new kitchen, but the elecy who came round to quote for the electrics in the kitchen told us about the 100 mm rules away from the joists.
my question is there any fire proof stuff you can put between them so we can put them closer to the joist.
Or the other thing we were talking about is putting led bulbs in them, cos they dont get hot, but he was unsure cos he wanted to see a fitting where only led bulbs go into it, so someone in the future cant put in a halogen bulb. is there such a fitting.
thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont think so, BUT there are CFL fittings where they are keyed - GU10 GFLs have notches in them so that the plastic fittings designed for them can only accept them.

FLCFL100WHX.JPG

You can just see the notches here. These are the best of both worlds - they have a wide beam, have better light then halogen, and run at about 50 degrees, about 200 less than halogen. You can touch them during use, they wont burn joists. The only downsides are they some people dont like the light they give (its sort of unnatural, but you can get different colour temperatures of white), and they take about 2 minutes to reach full brightness.

422.3.1 Except for equipment for which an appropriate product standard specifies requirements, a luminaire shall be kept at an adequate distance from Combustible materials. Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer, a small spotlight or projector shall be installed at the following minimum distance from combustible materials:
(i) Rating up to 100 W 0.5 m
(ii) Over 100 and up to 300 W 0.8 m
(iii) Over 300 and up to 500 W 1.0 m
422.4.2 Except for equipment for which an appropriate product standard Specifics requirements, a luminaire shall be kept at an adequate distance from combustible materials. Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer, a small spotlight or projector shall be installed at the following minimum distance from combustible materials:
(i) Rating up to 100 W 0.5 m
(ii) Over 100 and up to 300 W 0.8 m
(iii) Over 300 and up to 500 W 1.0 m
NOTE 1: A luminaire with a lamp that could eject Flammable materials in case of failure should be constructed with a Safety protective shield for the lamp in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
NOTE 2: Luminaires marked accordance with BS EN 60598-1 are suitable for mounting on a normally flammable surface.

Are the regulations but note "Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer" and you will find some which can be mounted closer. You need to read manufacturers recommendations.

Sponsored Links
The CFL GU10 fitting I linked to above is a shade over £10. Your fittings will be £100+ each ban. :rolleyes:

Another option is PL downlights, which start at 80% brightness immediately, and get to 100% quickly, but use slightly bigger luminaires (fittings) to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back