Downlight in shower are

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
In the process of bathroom renovation, Is it possible to fit IP65 downlight in the location as shown in pic, above shower head?

Thanks

downlight location.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is a distance limit from shower base and unless manufactures instructions say OK to be closer also a distance limit form combustible material. Not really a DIY job, as the cost of registering the work is silly, so ask your scheme member electrician.

There is a distance limit from shower base and unless manufactures instructions say OK to be closer also a distance limit form combustible material. Not really a DIY job, as the cost of registering the work is silly, so ask your scheme member electrician.
I am doing in my own house so don't need to register.
I have just seen IP65 is for Zone 1 and 2 which means is OK for what am doing, see below pic

bathroom zones.jpg

Just for accuracy:

Luminaires (lights) in zones 1 and 2 must be at least IPX4 and stated suitable by the manufacturer.
Outside the zones (as in the OP) there is no restriction.

In England, work in bathrooms and the like, outside of the zones does not require "notification" to the Local Authority.
If it did, that would be the case whoever does the work.

Being a "registered" electrician - or not - has nothing to do with the ownership of the property.

The diagram shown is not quite correct around the shower cubicle and there are no zones around a basin.

There are very few correct diagrams on the internet regarding the zones.

This is correct:
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:bathroom_zones

Sponsored Links
I got caught out, I was unaware turning a toilet and pantry into a wet room needed planning permission. I was aware of Part P but not the other parts of building regulations.

I find the building regulation hard to understand, as they seem to change so often. And Wales, England, and Scotland all diffrent.

I will use IP65s to be on the safe side for the whole bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back