Shower downlights

W

WSDLTD

Hi, completely had a mantal block! is it ok to use ip65 downlights mains voltage in a shower cubical, obviously the ip rating is ok but does it not have to be reduced to 12 volts

Cheers

Sponsored Links
lights dont really go on a rcd if can be helped, yeah i can get 12v but they are 4 times more expensive which is pointless if i can use mains

Sponsored Links
You asked if you can use mains lights in a shower and the answer is yes if they are fed via an RCD/RCBO

If you choose not to feed them from an RCD/RCBO then you will have to pay more for the SELV type, at least you have choice.

Quoting from 'The Electrician's guide to the building regs':

230V light fittings can be installed above a shower or bath but they must be IPX4 unless mounted at a height of more than 3m.

thats right thank you very much its come back to me now zone 0 is 12v and above a shower is zone 1 and like you say above ip4x is ok at 240v thanks for the memory jog knew it was nothing to do with rcd's

The regs do say mains fans can be located above bath or shower providing they are both IPX4 and rcd-protected.

Does that apply to light fittings too?

A ceiling mounted luminaire above a bath or shower would normally be in zone 2. Reg 601-09-03 allows a luminaire to be installed in zone 2 and has no requirement for RCD protection in this location. It has of course to be IPX4 rated.

have
images
this

and

images

this

then it doesnt matter where it goes, even in the bath :LOL: (honest)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back