Downlight loose connection issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a downlight in my bathroom that doesn't seem to have a secure connection. (Excuse the layman terms) The plastic cube at the end of the wire of the transformer has two holes which if you push the pins of the bulb to the metal connectors within the holes, it lights up, but you have to rest the pins within the holes using gravity to maintain illumination. Is it missing a part to hold tight the connection? I'm only aware of two types of pins - I refer to them as thin and fat (with the knob at the end). I'm using thin since the fat ones won't fit (yet the thin ones are too thin for the holes and therefore easily slip out when pushing up the bulb in the ceiling).

Sponsored Links
You are probably talking about a 12v halogen lamp like this?

LXM69G.JPG

The contacts on the sockets of those really suffer due to heat, stress, atc (so do I)!

The solution is to get a replacement socket.

You can get them in loads of places

like TLC and SCREWFIX

Get a new bulb too as bad sockets often damage the pins, which will then damage the new socket! An aluminium reflector type will greatly reduce the heat at the socket, and inside the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back