Downlight Switches HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to the forum and after some advise, I'm renovating my home and have knocked the wall between my kitchen and the living room into one room. I'm hoping to install downlights into both rooms, but having two different sets of light ie one set in the kitchen and one set in the living room.....so my question is....how would I go about controlling both sets of lights from the kitchen, and also control both sets of lights from the living room (I would need to use a 2 gang 2 way switch in both rooms I gather so that one switch turns just the kitchen lights and and one switch turns just the living room on and both would turn the both on) so how would I go about wiring the switches ? (Hope that made sense (y))

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping to install downlights into both rooms
But you still have time to abandon that plan and instead install lights which are designed to light up rooms, rather than lights which are designed to not do that.

I would need to use a 2 gang 2 way switch in both rooms I gather so that one switch turns just the kitchen lights and and one switch turns just the living room on and both would turn the both on
Maybe it's just the way you worded that, but no. You're right about 2-gang 2-way switches, but each switch would control both sets of lights individually.

so how would I go about wiring the switches ?
But given that you have to ask that question, do you really think that you know enough about electrical installation work to be able to cope with all of the other requirements necessary for it to be safe and legal? You don't have to answer that here, but I would ask you to ask yourself the question, and give it some serious thought.

When you applied for Building Regulations approval for knocking down the wall, did they ask you anything about the electrical work? What else do you plan to do as part of this renovation?

Last edited:
Ignore BAS's comment about Building Regulation approval he is wrong unless you live in a listed building.
That's Planning Permission:

screenshot_614.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ignore BAS's comment about Building Regulation approval he is wrong unless you live in a listed building.
That's Planning Permission:
Indeed so. However, what that page goes on to say about Building Regs as regards internal walls seems all a bit odd/surprising ....
Building Regulations
If you wish to build a new internal wall, remove an internal wall, or form an opening in an internal wall, building regulations will normally apply......
New Internal Wall(s)
Work to provide a new internal wall generally requires approval under the Building Regulations 2000
Removal of Internal Wall(s)
Care should be taken before removing any internal wall. These walls can have a number of functions that could affect the building and the safety of the occupants within the building.
The implication (by silence) appears to be that whilst Building Regs approval is 'generally required' for erection of a new internal wall, it is not necessarily required (only 'a need to take care') for removal of an internal wall. Given that the latter is surely far more likely (if done injudiciously) to result in disaster, that seems a bit odd to me!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back