2 Dimmers on lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 switches controlling one set of lights in one of my rooms. One switch at each end of the room. Is it acceptable to change both switches for standard dimmers switches? (will need 500w ones as circuit has 450w of downlighters on it) I dont need special switches because I have 2 dimmers on the circuit???

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
two ordainairy dimmers operating the same light will not work.

you need special dimmers, one master the other slave, tlc supply them

And if you're controlling 450w of downlighters in one go, you need a dimmer that can handle that much halogen load (they are de-rated by 50% when controlling halogens, unless stated otherwise)

Sponsored Links
Just be aware that the inrush to the lamps may possibly burn out the triac in the dimmer (usual syptom is lights being at full brightness all the time)

breezer? if no then what am I supposed to use?

I have one lighting circuit with 9 x 50w GU10 downlighters and another with 10 x 50w GU10 downlighters

I have got 2 600w Master dimmer switches and 2 slave units so each circuit can be controlled from 2 locations.

What is the problem with this setup then?

crafty1289 said:
And if you're controlling 450w of downlighters in one go, you need a dimmer that can handle that much halogen load (they are de-rated by 50% when controlling halogens, unless stated otherwise)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back