Downlight transformer replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I connect the 2 wires from transformer to the 2 wires from the light bulb?

Sponsored Links
What type of transformer have you, is it pre-wired?
You will have your mains low voltage being supplied at the 230V side and the extra low voltage coming out the other end.

How do I connect the 2 wires from transformer to the 2 wires from the light bulb?

1. What do the instructions supplied with the transformer say?

2. How would you connect them in the absence of instructions?

Sponsored Links
It's a Tamlite 20-60VA (model EU-2060) - prewired (no instructions). I've now connected transformer to the lighting circuit. The 2 wires from transformer do not appear to easily connect to the wires from the light bulb (unless I cut, connect and use insulating tape - which can't be right). I'm obviously a novice - grateful for any help.

Hi

Because of the heat you won't be able to use normal connector block (or tape), having looked at the transformers on line. You will need to either remove the terminal cover and connect into the terminals inside the transformer or use porceline connectors like these if there is no connector compartment on the one you have ( the catalogue is not clear on this)

Regards

Martin

That transformer has two sets of cables coming from it.

two separate wires- those are the 12v (secondary) cables. Those go to the connection block on the light itself. There should be one. If not, you'll need a connection box.

The other cable (double insulated) is the mains connection. This connects to the mains supply, again there should already be a connection box/

Take a picture on the connection that you have if you are not sure about this.

If it's pre-wired you will need to use a connection between transformer wires to both mains supply and lamp.
This connection must be easily accessible for inspection and testing and the connection must also be in an enclosure, so not just a terminal connection block and insulation tape.
Something like this
http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/p47106250.pdf
or a choc box with connector strip.
Make sure the hole size of the downlight is large enough and the ceiling void spacious enough for the transformer and connection to be installed, transformers do need plenty of ventilation, so avoid thermal insulation.
You would expect the downlight fitting to come with a pre-installed connection enclosure which would also fix to the main body of the fitting and effectively reducing heat dissipation from the lamp to the cables.

The 2 wires from transformer do not appear to easily connect to the wires from the light bulb
That's because that transformer is designed to plug into lights made by the same people, not be a general purpose replacement for any other make.

TD-116-CONEU.jpg

You should have bought one which was not pre-wired.

(unless I cut, connect and use insulating tape - which can't be right).
Cut off the plug, connect using connector blocks inside an enclosure.

The cables you would be joining are heat resistant. So it follows that the connector should be.

In the picture above, the connector block is housed in a heat resistant box which is fixed so it is away from the source of the heat (the bulb; ban) whaere as if you are going to use the aftermarket one, which is on sale as an aftermarket product in my link above it wont be held away from the heat and therefore in my humble opinion a heat resistant connector would be wise.

Especially as lots of the ones I come across are never assembled in the ceiling and also the OP is obviously a novice- the best advice is to use a heat resistant block.

Connector blocks (at least those attached to fittings are made of heat resistant plastic compounds. In the good old days they were all porcelain, but now are plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back