Downlighters with no upstairs access

MBX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have tried searching for some help on existing posts but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, so apologies if it's already been covered.

I'm moving into a new conversion flat soon :D and one of the first things I'd like to do is have downlighters fitted. I'm a bit of a DIY numpty so was wondering how you would fit downlighters if you don't have access to the floorboards from above. In my case this would be someone else's flat and I can't see them being too keen on me ripping up their floorboards! :rolleyes:

Obviously I'd be getting a pro in to do the work (any thoughts on cost for doing a 19' x 14' room?), no chance of me getting it right!

Thanks!
MBX

Sponsored Links
Access from above makes life easier and quicker! but it can be done without it'll just take longer and require more time pushing cables through. Without seeing the job and having an idea of the floor construction and any existing cable runs, holes/notches in joists etc its difficult to estimate time with any accuracy. From in front of the PC I'd allow a whole day and consider myself lucky to get out in half a day. Standby for the speed merchants replies.

Building Regulations:

A, B, E, L & P are all applicable to a greater or lesser extent.

It is possible to install downlighters and comply with all applicable regulations, but not without considerable cost. I, for one, would not be interested in quoting for the work.

Maybe you should just wait until they go out of fashion?

In particular, flats are constructed so that each is a fire compartment.
If you make your ceiling into swiss cheese then you have to make sure that the fire resistance is maintained.
Also the ceiling will be a sound barrier and may well be stuffed with materials that will reduce the sound insulation if you clear it away.

I echo Dingbat's sentiments. i'd not take on this as a job.

Are you renting this, or buying it?

Sponsored Links
Building Regulations:

A, B, E, L & P are all applicable to a greater or lesser extent.

It is possible to install downlighters and comply with all applicable regulations, but not without considerable cost. I, for one, would not be interested in quoting for the work.

Maybe you should just wait until they go out of fashion?

I don't follow fashion :D, I just like them!

Sounds like it's a difficult one :( but not impossible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back