Downlights - best energy saving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We are currently in the middle of extensive building works which will eventually lead to a large kitchen diner. We've knocked down walls and built an extension so are looking to have 6/8 ceiling Downlights in each part of the kitchen (3 parts) so will need approximately 24-32 Downlights.

My husband is very energy consumption conscious. We have electric solar panels and I know he will want the most energy efficient bulbs in the kitchen.

So my question is, what type of Downlights will we need to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Sarah x

Sponsored Links
First and foremost downlights are not the best option for lighting a room because, as you've found out, you need so many of them.
If you really want to go down that route then try some of the larger CFL downlights or if that is not your thing then 230V LED GU10s will be the way forward.

We have electric solar panels and I know he will want the most energy efficient bulbs in the kitchen.
Is that so that he can use solar electricity to power the lights?

So my question is, what type of Downlights will we need to achieve this?
If he's keen on efficiency, the answer is ones which are efficient at lighting up rooms.

No matter how high the lm/w figure is, little lights which closely resemble torches recessed into the ceiling are not an efficient way to light the room - as ricicle observes, you have to work around their inefficiency by using lots of them.

Large lights are the way to go - they can still be recessed. If you want LED there's the Thorn BaseLED, for example, which looks good on paper:

led-downlight-337740.jpg

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/download/Base_LED_Brochure.pdf

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/PDB/Ressource/teaser/E2/TLG_BaseLED.pdf

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/object/PDF/datasheet.aspx?CompanyID=7&GroupID=12650&CL=E2&CC=GB

These are typical of the CFL downlights ricicle mentions:

I've got some in my kitchen and they're pretty unobtrusive.

If the extension is single story consider sunpipes, or if it's not too late a roof lantern.

For lighting in your nwew space, Building Regulations requires at least 75% of the lamps to be low energy.

Your architect should have specified this.

You'll need to look in Building regs Part L to find their definition of "low energy".

Sponsored Links
First item is the word kitchen. As a kitchen one would expect many heat sources so assuming these are to the minimum i.e. induction hob then using discharge or LED lighting is the next step.

To light a large area may seem over simple but one needs a large light. The standard florescent unit would seem the best option. As one tries to reduce the lamp size so one gets to a less efficient system. The 2D lamps seem to be a good compromise.

Lighting is complex but I think one would put the 2" lamps at about the bottom of the list as far as light output for watts used. To me it makes a great planetarium but as far as lighting goes it must be the bottom of the list.

28 down lighters at say 3-4w led energy will use around 100w and around £400 fittings and bulbs plus instalation of say £300 depending on actual costs
the same light with normal led lighting would be around 40w and around £60 for bulbs and fixings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back