which downlights - energy saving or low voltage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have mains run downlights in my lounge and kitchen. The kitchen ones were fitted about 12 months ago, but despite the assurances a bulbs seems to blow at least every couple of weeks. My father in law reckons its because they get to hot. He suggests downlights, but low voltage with a trnasformer. Is this likely to be any better or should i opt for the low energy mains run downlights you can buy. Doesn't seem to be any difference in cost and the low energy bulbs should last a lot lot longer.

I do wonder about the downlights that keep blowing as had in the old house with no problems. The sparky when he fitted them in the kitchen thought it was the damp from the plaster, then a few weeks later said they had a batch of bad bulbs (had a few issues in other houses), however 12 months later they are still going and patience has worn out.

Sponsored Links
Handling the bulbs screws them up. Finger grease creates hot spots on the glass and they fail quicker than they should.

Using a quality make rather than 8 for £10 bundle packets from DIY sheds is best.

You could go LED, but the good one's will still have slightly less light and cost £18 each for 5w one's

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...aving_Lamps_Index/GU_Led/index.html#GU_Led_5w

The other alternative is megaman LE ones, but these can look silly if the GU10 fitting has a fixed lamp holder or has a short case length.

LV might run better, but they still run hot and you have the extra fail component in the LV xformer- although the electronic ones seldom have any issues.

Like a shirt, it's down to your preference.

FYI:

The IEC definitions of voltage bands are:
  • Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V
  • Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC
  • Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV
  • High voltage: 35kV - 230kV
  • Extra-high voltage: >230kV
This is not some pedantic technical point - if you start getting involved in doing your own electrical work, and start learning about regulations etc you'll come across references to "Low voltage", and it'll be no good you thinking that that means 12V...

Lamps blowing this regularly can also be caused by a loose connection somewhere on the supply. If you still suspect the problem to be temperature related, make sure there is no thermal insulation above the lampholders that would prevent the heat from escaping.

Sponsored Links
THANKS for the replies.

I would hope its not a loose connection as all that gets checked I assume when they do the testing prior to the part p cert? Also surely a qualified sparky would get it right from the insulation perspective.

I have obviously had a blonde moment as I have just realised that you can buy energy saving lamps to go into normal mains voltage downlights :rolleyes: presumably these would run just as hot.

Is it worth chaging the downlights to low voltage as my father in law suggests and will that resolve the problem or is it best to spend my money on some quality bulbs?

cheers

I would hope its not a loose connection as all that gets checked I assume when they do the testing prior to the part p cert? Also surely a qualified sparky would get it right from the insulation perspective.
You are assuming that they were properly installed by a qualified sparky and properly tested....

I have obviously had a blonde moment as I have just realised that you can buy energy saving lamps to go into normal mains voltage downlights :rolleyes: presumably these would run just as hot.
No - they run much cooler.

Is it worth chaging the downlights to low voltage as my father in law suggests and will that resolve the problem or is it best to spend my money on some quality bulbs?
You already have low voltage ones. The IEC definitions of voltage bands are:
  • Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V
  • Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC
  • Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV
  • High voltage: 35kV - 230kV
  • Extra-high voltage: >230kV
This is not some pedantic technical point - if you start getting involved in doing your own electrical work, and start learning about regulations etc you'll come across references to "low voltage", and it'll be no good you thinking that that means 12V.

And anyway - 12V lights run even hotter than 230V ones....

thanks very much.

i will try the low watt energy saving lamps and see if it make a difference.

i am assuming the fit was correct, a well regarded sparky who seemed to do everything correct and got the part p cert from the local authority.

http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/products/Energy+Saving+Bulbs/Energy+Saving+GU10+Bulbs/Megaman+Energy+Saving+GU10+7W/688684187

would these do the job?
Yes, and they are only slightly bigger than normal lamps. But they will be a bit dimmer. I have 9 watt ones in my bathroom, very impressed with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back