Downlighters not downlighting...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 18 months ago my house was rewired and the wife insisted that we had 8 downlighters installed in the kitchen. They are low voltage. The job was done professionally but over a period of time each one of the lights stopped working. If a bulb is removed it can be replaced a few seconds later and it works again.

It seems to me that the small cylindrical ceramic fitment that holds the metal pins of the bulb has 'contacts' inside it and that they are no longer gripping on to the pins properly. If the bulb is wiggled or held to one side they illuminate but once they a replaced they very shortly stop working again.

The ceramic holder seems to be an integral part of the whole downlighter. Does this mean I have to replace the whole thing including the transformers or is there a cheaper and simpler alternative?

Sponsored Links
You probably have cheap fittings. The contacts carry quite high currents and the cheaper ones do fail after a while.
Also the contacts get bent out of shape if the lamp is not put in properly.

You can just replace the fiting, Keep the transformer. There's lots to choose from

Try here: http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A45457...ting/Recessed-Lighting/12V-Halogen-Downlights

Buy replacements that have the same size hole as the old ones!

The downlighters you have are Extra-Low Voltage, not Low Voltage.

Extra-Low Voltage - not exceeding 50v a.c
Low Voltage - Exceeding Extra-Low Voltage but not exceeding 1000v a.c

Most wholesalers will do replacement ceramic holders - have even seen them in some bigger B&Q's.

Sponsored Links
I have loads of these lampholders and could send you a couple foc, but I'm not sure if this is allowed, me being relatively new to this forum. Maybe one of the regulars could let me know if this is ok.

The ceramic holder seems to be an integral part of the whole downlighter.

It seems they may be screwed in the fitting so he will need a direct replacement, rather than using any type which just hang in the fitting.

You could arrange something through the personal messages via your profile or email direct via a email in the profile.

You can use email address in the profile but not in a post

No problem :)

You cannot send a message direct Afaik

you first have to do a friend invite, if he replys and accepts that you can then message each other.

Alternatively put your email adress in your profile and tell him to contact you that way, or he could put his in his profile.

proberly best if he posts a picture first to make sure your ones do fit

Spot on, Thanks again. :)
Imspartacus contact me the way 333rocky333 has detailed if you are interested and try to post a pic as mentioned also.

Following on from OP's original post, what causes my client's LV bathroom down lights to blow with regularity. ie within a few days of replacing the lamps. Could it be cheap transformers and if so what aspect of the transformer is at fault.

It could be the 'cheap' feature :!: Some cheap ones do not have overload protection. I had a customer who provided his own transformers & downlights from a friendly local 'supplier'. More than 50% died within 3 weeks.

Or it could be moisture
or heat (if the xfrmr is covered by insulation)

Thanks for all your replies. The wife would kill me if she thought we had 'cheap' fittings!! ;)

I may have misled you when I said the ceramic holders were an integral part of the fitting. They do just hang down on wires but I couldn't see how they could be removed from the whole thing. Once I worked out how to get them out of the ceiling they just go to a small terminal block that sits above the fitting itself.

From what Cremeegg has said I may be able to replace the ceramics easily to use a process of elimination before forking out for anything else.

Are these ceramic things the sort of 'Lampholders' you were talking about, Vansolo?

I will try to email you re your offer.... and thanks again!

On a probably unrelated note, the incoming cable looks very thin on the pictures, any idea what type/size it is? I assume each fitting has its own transformer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back