Downlights cpc - EIC - Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing a consumer unit with 17th edition with 2 RCDs

On Testing R1+R2 on lights, the downlights do not have continuity of cps, the cpc wires have been cut short on each light connection/interconnection. (I get R1+R2 reading in the last room which does not have downlights). The downlight are made of metal have only 2 wires on the block connection supplied running to the 240v lights (I presume these are class II). There are also low voltage IP44 downlights lights in the shower room with cpc interconnection cup off again at transformers. DO I need to reconnect the CPCs?

I have plenty of Electrical Installation certificate.. Can I still use them - there is no room to put the 2nd RCD on it or do I need to get new one. Any recommendation for computer recommended certificate software.

Lastly, There is no need for bonding in the bathroom as all the circuits will be on RCD. I am not sure if, however, I still need to bond the metal work, e.g. radiator, hot and cold water pipes; even thought these do not need to be bonded to the electric circuit in the bathroom. Somewhat, I get confused by what I have read.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should have an earth at every lighting point. Whether the earth connects to the light or stays in a choc box is a side issue. All items require an earth at the outlet. The cable requires earth continuity also
[/img]

The manufactures instructruction regarding downlights normally state no cpc needed, as they are double insulated plus as they will be in a chain should not effect another lighting circuit. . I always do connect the cpcs up in connection blocks though.
I have plenty of Electrical Installation certificate.. Can I still use them - there is no room to put the 2nd RCD on it or do I need to get new one. Any recommendation for computer recommended certificate software.
You continue on another sheet and page number it.
Is there any electrical circuits in the bathroom to sup bond?
SPS

The manufactures instructruction regarding downlights normally state no cpc needed, as they are double insulated plus as they will be in a chain should not effect another lighting circuit.

No CPC required to the luminaire but 411.3.1.1 still applies.
For me this would have been a code 2 defect on the PIR that I would have carried out prior to changing the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
GaryMO
Would this not come under a deviation from BS7671 as Manufacturers Instruction have revelant approved standards
SPS

GaryMO
Would this not come under a deviation from BS7671 as Manufacturers Instruction have revelant approved standards
SPS

I wouldn't have said so. The MI will state something along the lines of class 2 or all insulated so a CPC isn't required to be connected to the luminaire. This doesn't mean that BS7671 shouldn't be followed with regards to the cables supplying the luminaries.
You may even measure voltage on the unconnected CPC's due to capacitive coupling.

If the luminaries had been supplied as a kit with 2 core cable minus a CPC then it's a totally different story.

I would reconnect the cpc continuity on the downlights.

Any Views on that bonding issue for the bathroom . Does metalwork still require bonding.

PIR means ....?

All help has been very much appreciated :D :D

GaryMo,
If the luminaries had been supplied as a kit with 2 core cable minus a CPC then it's a totally different story.
What if they had not been supplied by 2 core but had no earth terminal connection? because that's what I was assuming by the original post, I know it's wrong to assume but there you go!
SPS[/quote]

No, not really.

Infact, it has nothing to do with this situation at all.

scarypants

you are right. The lights came with 2 core connections. Hence the cpc cannot be connected to the light. I was thinking more about the continuation to cpc within the downlights circuits.

This has more to do with if the lights were changed one day. Also the book Snag1 - it appears any unsused wires/cables need to be connected to earth/cpc instead of just being cut off - as good practice.

reread 701.415.2 and reference to regulation 411.3.1.2 where all the main bonding are present.

I take it that No bonding at all is required in this case. In case I am wrong do let me know

Joe100w
Thats why I connect the CPCs up as mentioned previously,
If all case be true, no bonding is need.
SPS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back