Downlights for Small Void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a 25 year old purpose built flat and want to add downlights (about 20). I understand that fire rated downlights are essential. Several people have recommended 240v mains system with GU10. The problem is that the void height appears to be a max of 100mm I have seen, after much searching, ultra compact lights with height 86mm but am concerned that it doesn't allow sufficient air space for circulation. Another suggested LED lights (cool) at about same height but very expensive at around £35 each but I assume not much space above is needed. Yet another idea is fire rated hoods but all are well over 100mm height and would need reducing but that would compromise their safety. The question is : can I really do downlights or are we stuck with ceiling lights?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably stuck with ceiling lights.

Don't forget you'll need soundproofing as well as fire proofing.

But it's no bad thing. 20 lights? To replace how many?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. They are for hall, living room, kitchen and bathroom - quite modest I thought. Could I use the 86mm LEDs in the void space as little heat problem, and I would only use them for and L shape hallway as it looks cluttered, so might be affordable for 5 at £35 each to replace 2 "normal" lights.

LEDs are funny things regarding heat - they don't produce anything like as much as incandescent lamps, but they are extraordinarily intolerant of what they do produce, and it must be got rid of - hence the large heat sinks/cooling fins you see on many of them, particularly the higher output ones.

So pay scrupulous attention to what the makers say about clearances and ventilation bearing in mind that you'll need to surround them with soundproofing and firehoods.

Are you sure you can't find anything non-cluttered for less than £87.50 which won't require you to cut holes in the ceiling?

Also, have you considered the difficulties of running cables in the ceiling when you don't have access from above? Where do the joists run in relation to where the cables and lights would have to go?

Many thanks Ban all Sheds, very useful info, which has cleared my mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back