downlights in soffets

DennisLS said:
I intended using 1.0 t&e cable

Better to feed each individual point with LV, then & have a tranny at each position.

Any particular reason why you wanted to use just one tx?

Ask the PIR mfrs how much SELV load their PIR's will take. Then you can run a cable back to a convenient location for an over-ride switch and put the conductors between live & switched live. With the switch down, the lights are on all the time, then when the switch is open, they revert to sensor operation.

Sponsored Links
I assumed using one transformer for all eight downlights would be an easier option than using one at each position, or am I way off beam ?

Sponsored Links
Well, as people have pointed out, there's a heck of a current in that SELV load....so carrying it that far is bad news. Hence the suggestion for local trannies. Plus, if a tranny goes down, you only lose one fitting...

Use GU10 CFL lamps in a shower downlighter.

Next to no heat.

Next to no power consumption

Therefore you won't do too much damage to the environment.

Therefore no issues with to much current for the PIR to switch

No trannies to worry about

Fitting is weather proof

Lamps last for ages, so you won't have to get your ladder out every weekend to replace failed halogen lamps.

An 11W GU10 CFL is easily as bright as a 35W halogen lamp

the impression i get is that they don't have the power per unit to really compete for general lighting.

also they can have very weired frequency spectrums which although looking white can make other things look a bit strage afaict.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back