Downlights - No access above

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Are there some top tips (or is it not possible) for fitting down lights in the roof, without being able to get to the other side? As in, I cannot get to the floorboards in the room above.

This sort of light I mean:

JC2033BN.jpg

Sponsored Links
From existing ceiling rose you can run cable out to light position. It will be next to a joist so you can measure off it to locate other joists.
You can then fish cable in one direction fairly easily and across joist by cutting small holes either side of joists to allow you to "sew" the cable across the joists.
Double check light positions by poking thin screw driver thru ceiling to avoid hole too close to a joist.

Once in you can make good ceiling , I would recommend gu10 fittings with mains led lights.

Thanks.

Is it the sort of job you would get an electrician to do, or more of a builder sort of thing?

I'm not sure I feel too comfortable having a bash myself :(

Sponsored Links
either or, i would have a go though, if you have an existing rose you can wire them all up before connecting to the live circuit. you will need to be prepared to patch the ceieling and make good. how big is the room? might be a cheaper (time) option to pull it down and reboard.

Hi,

Are there some top tips (or is it not possible) for fitting down lights in the roof, without being able to get to the other side? As in, I cannot get to the floorboards in the room above.

This sort of light I mean:

JC2033BN.jpg

Cue BAS.

And is it a sound barrier?

What sort of room is it?

What size is it, and how many lights do you intend to put in?

BAS, you're slipping ;) You missed ...
Does it have thermal insulation in it - and can this safely be removed/pushed aside. Leave it in and the lights overheat and either fail or are a fire hazard; push it aside and you risk cold spots with all the issues that can cause.
Is there actually any room above the boards ? In my flat, there's a block and beam floor above, with just an inch or two between the underside of that and the plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back