Downlight stuck and cannot replace bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a decent run, one of the living room downlight bulbs has died. I have tried to remove the bulb however cannot turn the fitting guard to gain access to the bulb. The light is stuck.

I have read various things about the heat from the light damaging the seal, hence making removal challenging.

Two suggestions are:
1) Use a screwdriver to ply open the fitting. This hasn't worked.
2) Remove the entire housing/fitting. I would prefer not to do this as it is likely to cause damage to plaster and I do not have access to the crawl space above. (Block of flats.)

Any tips or hints on getting to the bulb?

Thanks. Downlight in question looks very similar to the one below.

low-voltage-downlight-AU-DLL316-400.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is it a screw fitting or does it have spring clip to hold lamp(bulb) in place.
If it is a twist fitting, you will need to persevere as it likely that has never been removed since install and seized up.
If it is still being stubborn your only alternative would be to remove the fitting from the ceiling, to allow for better access. But the plate will still need to be twisted off.
Sorry no tricks or tips.

Looks like a bayonet fitted ring to me (we had the same ones).

I used a pair of long-nosed pliers opened with one jaw to the right of each little 'tab', and turn anti-clockwise.

Problem is, if it's tight the whole fitting will start to turn in the ceiling. If that happens, you need water pump pliers to keep the fitting in place - and probably an extra pair of hands.

As it's a push and turn give it a sharp tap upwards to break any seal that has formed.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's a PUSH & turn action, just turn & remove.
But as you say, breaking the 'seal' can be an issue.

As to breaking the seal. Have you tried (gently) tightening the ring before loosening? These types of fittings can be awkward, even when brand new, to release the ring. When ever I've fitted any I've always wiped the lamp "lock ring" with a cloth lightly dampened with silicone lubricant. One little bit of crap in the wrong place seems to send them skewiff and lock them up.

Just need the Trim next to the Lamp turning approx 12mm anti-clockwise , it will drop down with the Lamp slid under a retaining Clip

Lucky

Thanks for the comments.

I am having trouble 'breaking' the seal. The problem is I cannot turn the trim/seal in any direction.

From memory it is not a push and turn. I believe I simply need to turn the trim and the lamp will come down.

The lamp itself is moving upward and downward, so suspect the housing is locking it in.

Does anyone have a photo of the inside of the housing? And to open, is it turning the trim in an anti clockwise direction?

I've had this in the past and it's usually caused by putting the ring in incorrectly in the first place.

Is the ring sitting perfectly flush like the others?

Here's what you're trying to remove:

864293D4-15A4-4306-B889-C39AB73F11AD-28913-00002C7B836BA1E2.jpg

00E2BDB9-1AC1-4747-BDCE-C98017D08E58-28913-00002C7B7025987D.jpg

On the fitting I have in front of me you turn the ring about 1/6th of a turn anti clockwise to release it.

I've found that if you prod the lamp with your finger quite hard a few times it pops inside the fitting and gives you chance to grab the ring between two fingers and shake it etc until it comes loose.

I have seen that type a few times, the heat sometimes distorts the metal and there impossible to get out, sometimes its simpler to remove the fitting, pushing round on the two stumpy lug bits should be enough and the middle drops out

Finally managed to solve it!

Still unsure what was keeping it stuck but the following seemed to help:

- Pushing the fitting ring firmly in each direction trying to dislodge any dirt or dust.
- Using a damp cloth to wipe around the seal.
- Pushing the lamp slightly in, then grabbing the fitting ring and trying to rock up and down.

The combination of the above then made it possible to turn the ring enough for the lamp to come down.

This document may be helpful to others.
http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/sustainability/pdf/halogen-led-replacement-guide.pdf

Hi - I have a similar problem with a downlight bulb in the bathroom.

I managed to pop the bulb out from the hole in the ceiling okay, but disconnecting it from the wired fitting is an issue.

Most online vids say you simply unplug it (pull the two prongs out.) Mine was harder work, but I just assumed it was just jammed in harder, and eventually I eased the bulb out from the fitting - but the two prongs were left in the wire fitting and ripped out of the old bulb, as you can see:

This is a new bulb I bought, which kind of tells me those two prongs shouldn't be stuck in the fitting:

And here is the fitting with the two pins stuck in there:

How did I mess this up, and how do I sort it out? There are four screws either side of the fitting - was I meant to unscrew them rather than simply unplugging the bulb?

Changing a light bulb's normally straightforward so this is a bit frustrating - if anyone can help it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks![/img]

that holder screws on you should have loosened the lower screws on each side first

Aha. Thanks, I'll unscrew the bottom screws and hopefully the pins will just fall out.

I did notice a slightly worrying brown burn mark above the fitting (and reddish mark around the gap where the bulb clips in...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back