Downlights on kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have downlights built into the bottom of my kitchen cabinets.
These are Dh-3185 and one of the outer plastic casing is a bit loose & it appears some of the plastic casing has broken off, becuase of this sometime closing the cupboard door will cause the light to drop out of the hole in the cupboard.
What we people recommend as the best way to keep the light staying in the hole:
- glue in place
- wrap electrical tape around the side
- purchase replacement outcassing.
- other options?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Are these the ones with the little fiddly 20Wcapsule bulbs in them?

If so, chuck it all away and fit some long-lasting LED lights under your cabinets.

They are the ones with the fiddly capsule bulbs but all the LED lights I have seen appear to be for Cellings and not cabinets. The attached photo shows my set up, where the thickness of the bottom of the cabinet is around 20mm and the light sits in a recess. It was snug but over time the plastic has come lose so now when the cabinet door is closed hard the vibration makes the light drop. hence my question what we people recommend as the best way to keep the light staying in the hole:
- glue in place
- wrap electrical tape around the side
- purchase replacement outcassing.
- other options?

Most LED lights are rated for several years life. So they don't need to be in and out at all, if ever.

I'd first try and jam them in with a sliver of cardboard. If that doesnt work then a SMALL dab of glue on two sides will fix 'em good.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Taylortwocities, thats the line of thought I was going down (hence my first suggestion) but I am grateful for the second opinon.

Back to these lights, after a bit of jamming them in they have now come out again so looking at a more permanent solutions and switch to LEDs.
There are 5 downlights in total and I wondered if I can still use the same transformer (see photo)?:
View media item 85204Or if I need to replace the whole system as there do not seem to be many 5 light led systems on the market (mainly 4 light ones, which I assume would have 4 outs from the transformer).

Many thanks in advance

You might be able to use the same power supply (oh - as an aside, you might find it handy to click ***Removed***;) ), but you'd probably be better off replacing it with a proper LED driver - somewhere along the line the LEDs will need proper control, so you might as well start out with it. Plus you may struggle to get the minimum load for that power supply with LED lights.

As for numbers of lights, either find a system where you buy the lights separately from the driver, or one where a set can be expanded.

BAS, you might like to remove that link in the above post.

My curiosity made me click it, and it added you to my Ignore list. I guess you didn't want that?

Something strange happened when I hit that link.

All of a sudden my IGNORE list added winston, decker and BAS

Just tried it again and only winston took the hit.

I do think its a bad thing you've done there Mr B.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back