downlights recessed lights question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there i have just moved into a new house, the person before me seems like they have been a bit of a diyer (don't blame them) In the kitchen we have 3 recessed lights in a kitchen wall cabinet at the top. I have had a look on top of the unit and i understand the wiring of the lights from the transformer etc which then leads into a plug which i plug and switch. 2 questions.
1) Instead of the plug, could the same wire have been wired up off a switch of the light circuit. and
2)how many recessed lights can a transformer have on it's circuit. Are there recessed lights that don't need transformers

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
1 yes

2 depends on how big transformer is and what watt lamps are

I see... If for example and this is only for example... I had 25 50watt recessed lights in my kitchen (i have a big kitchen) and this came off from a switch from the wall. And then under my cabinets i had another 10 50watt recessed lights and then on the plinths i had another 15 50 watt recessed lights all running from 3 different switches. Would that mean that i needed 3 transformers and where would you suggest i put the transformers for the recessed lights in the ceiling, do you create a holder of a joist for the transformer to sit in and then providing that the transformer is capable enough of taking the wattage it will be ok.

Next question, if you had a really meaty transformer for the ceiling lights which could easily cope with the recessed lights under the cabinets and the plinths, could you run those lights also from that one transformer from the other switches by using a junction box, or would you need seperate transformers. And if that was the case could if you had hundrends of these lights on one floor and providing that you had a really powerful transformer could you run the whole circuit of one floor off one transformer using junction boxes.

Thanks for your time i'm trying to get my head around it all but i can't find anything on the net to support me.

you would need one transformer for each "Set" using your example.

1 set in ceiling

1 set under plynth

you could also have one HUMUNGUOUSLY BIG tranformer running all the 12 v lights in your house easy, BUT how big is this transformer to be, and suppose you want "just a few more lights" what do you do then? Not to mention the size of the cable to run all the lights

Idealy each lamp should have its own transformer.

where you put the transformer is up to you. but quite often the transformer is sitting next to the light (in the ceiling) this also reduces voltage drop from transformer to light

Sponsored Links
Can you inform me of anywhere where i can get transformers and lights at a decent price, everywhere seems to be very expensive... You certainly know your stuff Breezer

grovelling will get you no where.

the truth is you can get cheap transformers, cheap lights etc, but as they are cheap something has to give, that something is Quality, cheap may appear to be cheap, but quality will last cheap doesnt, so cheap is really more expensive

read what Antwerpman says here

breezer said:
you could also have one HUMUNGUOUSLY BIG tranformer running all the 12 v lights in your house easy,

Can you actually do this? And without using X-10 control or anything, just standard wall-plate switches?

I know technically it would work I was just wondering if there are regs against running 12V fixed wiring around a house? And if there are light switches that can handle the 20 or so amps.

Perhaps this is an area where we might see changes, low voltage lights are everywhere now. Like you say, cabling would be thick and thus expensive and unwieldy.

Breezer, in your first post you answered YES to the first question posed, but this should have been a NO.

He asked if you could run the Tx from the LIGHT SWITCH on the lighting circuit, and this should have no neutral, so the standard answer should be no.

However I had to read his post a couple of times to note this as it is not clear, just wnated to clarify this point for him.

ademz, a company called Illuma make Tx's big enough to run several lights, but single wire wound Tx are best in domestic premises. Electronic ones are rubbish.

easy, you read everything wrong which is why we always disgaree.

the question was (Instead of the plug, could the same wire have been wired up off a switch of the light circuit) to which the answer is yes, the poster didn't ask how, just can it be done, to which the answer is still yes.

FWL' i make no bones about it i do not like you*, you take things too literaly, this is a diy forum, all people generaly want is yes it can be done or no it can't, or if asked an opinion, not well if you take the xyz, which in acordance with gyrd will be connected via a 10mm cable etc etc.

*why not just chill out a bit, give shorter replies , and perhaps we may get along

FWL_Engineer said:
breezer said:
as usual we disagreee.

Well if we disagree, explain how to run a tx from a light switch when it has no neutral??
In the same way you run a light off the light switch, or a fan off the light switch. From a ceiling rose or JB with a neutral and a switched live available....

Breezer, whether you like me or not is not of any concern to me to be perfectly frank. I have, as everyone does, formed opinions of people who post here, but I do not allow that to influence my posting, unlike you.

The answer to the question is still NO.

As you quoted, he said

Instead of the plug, could the same wire have been wired up off a switch of the light circuit

Had you said it could be fed FROM the the lighting circuit then there is no problem, but he actually says SWITCH of the lighting circuit, and as 99% of these will not have a neutral in them, you have given out duff advise, I am sorry to say. You could have qualified your reply by explaining he would need a neutral, but you chose not too, fair enough, your choice, but electrically your post is technically incorrect.

Regarding explanations, your the only one who has moaned about it, is it that too many words confuse you? When dealing with electricity it is better to give clear and explained answers than brevity that, in this case, is inaccurate.

opinions asside then, i still dissgaree with you, my comments still stand. lets let sleeping dogs lie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back