MR16 Recessed Lighting Problem

X

xbot

This has truly got me stumped.

I'm trying to install recessed lighting into a small downstairs toilet. I have a 2xMR16 light fittings running off a Dais transformer rated at 50-150W/VA (loop in loop out).

The install appeared to go ok, switched the lights on before they were popped into the recesses no problem. Switched lights off, popped fittings them into the recesses, switched lights on nothing. I have changed the transformer over to a higher rated model and changed the bulbs, but all i get is a very dim pulsing from one of the bulbs. The bulbs are 35w halogens, and I've tried two different brands.

I am wiring 240v into the transformer (confirmed with meter reading), then wiring the two fittings into the transformer. The instructions say that it's not possible to measure the output voltage with a standard meter so i can't confirm the output.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

Rob.

Sponsored Links
The install appeared to go ok, switched the lights on before they were popped into the recesses no problem. Switched lights off, popped fittings them into the recesses, switched lights on nothing.
That surely must mean that you dislodged, loosened or otherwise disturbed some connections whilst 'popping them in', mustn't it?
I am wiring 240v into the transformer (confirmed with meter reading), then wiring the two fittings into the transformer. The instructions say that it's not possible to measure the output voltage with a standard meter so i can't confirm the output.
You probably would not get an accurate measurement with a standard meter, but you ought to at least be able to find out whether there is any voltage detectable on the output of the transformer.

I take it that you are sure that the lamps have the appropriate voltage rating in relation to what the output of the transformer is meant to be?

Kind Regards, John

If one lamp is faulty or not making contact I would expect dim pulsing from the other as the SMPT (not transformer) you are using has a minimum rating of 50 watts not 35 watts.

So the fault is obviously with the completely out fitting.

If you have a 50w lamp try that, as Winston has said your minimum load must be 50w and if one fitting is faulty you're only loading 35.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
I see your point be it any acronym one must be able to find the meaning. I would guess "Switched Mode Power Transformer" but personally I would call it a switched mode power supply as although most to contain a transformer they don't have to.

In the main one should select the power supply so it will not be under loaded with a single bulb. Neither should it be overloaded with all bulbs. I will accept that with 10 bulbs then still working with 5 bulbs is likely good enough.

This Electronic Lighting "transformer" will work with 35W or 50W with one or two bulbs and at £10:15 is not that expensive.

Yes I know it's not a simple transformer but the trade calls them electronic transformers and there is nothing we can really do about the incorrect label.

Why anyone still uses GU5.3 MR16 fittings at 12 volt rather than GU10 MR16 fittings at 230 volt I do not know? Today tungsten bulbs are really non starters and fitting 12 volt LED bulbs is asking for problems.

GU10 mains are the worst lamp type on the planet. Either keep to low volt with a decent transformer, or better still LED lamp instead of the gu10 mains

In the main one should select the power supply so it will not be under loaded with a single bulb.
blank_65x10_T.gif
whssign.gif

Rob - at the moment your design means that as soon as 1 lamp blows the room will have no lighting, as the other one will also stop working.

GU10 is the cap

led with GU10 are fine. The standard 240 volt non led type are the dreadful ones . They blow fast, they get to hot and produce crap lighting levels.

I solved the issue, something dis-lodged as the lights were pushed back up - as JohnW2 correctly suggested.

Thanks.

I solved the issue, something dis-lodged as the lights were pushed back up - as JohnW2 correctly suggested. Thanks.
You're welcome - it's nice to get something right for once :) I'm glad that it's all sorted out.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back