Downlights UNDER Bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a number of 230V LED downlights in my kitchen, part of which is below my bathroom (but on the side opposite from the bath). I want to add two more to the circuit, but this time they will be directly below the bath.

Given that the downlights will be below the bathroom floor, as far as I can tell that puts them outside of any of the usual bathroom Zones. The only risk of water ingress into the electrics would appear to be in the event that the bath sprung a leak and the water soaked through the floor, which is probably no different from the risk to the existing downlights or anywhere else where there are water/CH pipes in the ceiling voids.

As far as I can see therefore the rules about bathroom Zones and electrics will not apply here, but are there still any sensible precaution which could/should be taken please?

Sponsored Links
Not yet...that'll be another job in due course :)
So happy to have 'with' and 'without' comments, thanks.

The lights are not in the bathroom, anything applicable to bathrooms is unrelated.

All lighting circuits in domestic properties require RCD protection, that applies to new circuits and extensions/alterations to existing ones.

Sponsored Links
Leaks can happen anywhere, and where the water actually ends up can be anywhere too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back