Downlights vs pendants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting a garage into a gym space. Size wise it's somewhere between a single and double garage. It has a horrible old artex ceiling that I'm going to have skimmed.

There used to be a couple of old CCFL lights, which I have replaced with temporary pendants.

My question is, is there any advantage to installing downlights instead of pendants, or is it personal preference?

Sponsored Links
Holes in the ceiling have the advantage of letting warm, humid air from the room into the roof space.

Also fire and smoke, though in your building I don't suppose that's a concern, unless it's integral to a house.

I am converting a garage into a gym space. Size wise it's somewhere between a single and double garage. It has a horrible old artex ceiling that I'm going to have skimmed.

There used to be a couple of old CCFL lights, which I have replaced with temporary pendants.

My question is, is there any advantage to installing downlights instead of pendants, or is it personal preference?
personal preference

it depends what light you want -some people fit light panels for working spaces

or you could have some ceiling mounted lights -which dont have to be hanging down pendants, they could be bars with spots on etc

or you could have some floor standing uplighters to cast a strong light onto your soon to be nice new ceiling

if you are on a budget then downlighters can work out quite expensive by the time youve got it all wired up etc

Sponsored Links
You want Even diffused softish lighting that if you look up at when bench pressing or similar you aren't blinded by it and downlights might just shine fully into your eyes if you look at them directly.

Edit - Notch above beat me to it!

Something like this for instance

Also in winter you might want to think about a small dehumidifier to reduce condensation if you're working anaerobically

Uniformity of light is just as important as brightness. If some areas are lit much brighter than others then the room will not feel "well lit" even if the overall light level is high.

A pendant throws light in all directions. Combined with white walls this gives a reasonably uniform illumination of the room. Even from a single light source. Two is even better.

Recessed lights, and particularly small downlights, have a nasty habbit of concentrating light in a small area. The result is people end up compensating by installing large numbers of lights, in the halogen era this resulted in lighting setups that used crazy amounts of power, it's not so bad with LEDs but you still typically end up using a lot more power than you would with pendants.

I suppose recessed spots will take up less space than a pendant, if you're flexing your muscles or whatever you do.

You can get flat disk lights, like a saucer, with LEDs, that fix to the surface of a ceiling without the undesirable holes.

Size is important, a panel light 1699933117951.jpeg is still a down light, but 600 x 600 is very different to 2 inch sq. GX53 are larger than the MR16 but in general the larger the lamp then more lumen per watt, those designed to replace the fluorescent want better lumen per watt than what they replace, and a fluorescent is around 85 lumen per watt, so the replacement are normally at least 95 lumen per watt, where a lot of GU10 lamps are around the 70 lumen per watt.

Look at an LED bulb and often the LED's inside are on a flat plate 1699933772690.png so although sold as a candle bulb, the light is projected out nearly the same as a MR16, the chandelier reflects the light off the ceiling 1699934122578.png so gives a better spread, but a simple pendent is shining down onto often a dark floor. The problem is batten fittings are often integral so when they fail the whole thing needs changing, and you can't simply alter lighting by simply changing a bulb.

Ceiling height will also make a difference, I had a 65 watt fluorescent in our extension, swapped to a 58 watt and then to a 22 watt LED, which was ample, then son fitted 20 GU10 down lights, at 3 watt still 60 watt, however must admit they look better. But no real improvement in lighting the room.

If it's artex and you're installing anything that requires drilling or cutting into it (even if it's been skimmed first), first have it tested as to whether it contains asbestos. Some artex ceilings do. Testing is simple enough; send a sample to a verified testing facility and await the reply.

If it does contain asbestos you may wish to remove the entire ceiling; again something you can DIY with appropriate PPE and your local household waste recycling centre should be able to provide bags for you to fill and a dedicated place to drop it off

For a gym I'd consider uplighting/wall lights, echoing the point made earlier about downlighters (or even pendants) not being very diffuse or pleasant to lie under looking up into

Thanks for the replies all, and apologies for the delayed response. I had to put things on the backburner for a while.

Some very interesting comments and advice, on the back of which I have knocked the idea of downlights on the head as it's a flat roof and I don't want to risk compromising the void. Also currently awaiting the results of an asbestos test on the artex. I am having it skimmed anyway, if it does come back positive hopefully this will be sufficient to encapsulate any nasties as I don't fancy ripping the lot out?

As for the lighting, I'll probably go for a mix of pendants and wall lights. Some good advice re ceiling lights blazing into your eyes when bench pressing, I had forgotten just how much that annoyed me back when I had a gym membership!

Thanks for the replies all, and apologies for the delayed response. I had to put things on the backburner for a while.

Some very interesting comments and advice, on the back of which I have knocked the idea of downlights on the head as it's a flat roof and I don't want to risk compromising the void. Also currently awaiting the results of an asbestos test on the artex. I am having it skimmed anyway, if it does come back positive hopefully this will be sufficient to encapsulate any nasties as I don't fancy ripping the lot out?

As for the lighting, I'll probably go for a mix of pendants and wall lights. Some good advice re ceiling lights blazing into your eyes when bench pressing, I had forgotten just how much that annoyed me back when I had a gym membership!
My osteopath (teaching school) did some refurbishing during lockdown and some rooms fitted with suspended ceilings and downlighters, straightaway I complained about the unsuitability.
My next visit the manager spoke with me explaining what his advisers had said about how downlighters light the surface below and not the walls like the previous fluorescent fittings, I suggested he laid on the couch.
Guess the next action...

this will be sufficient to encapsulate any nasties as I don't fancy ripping the lot out?
From a moral conscience perspective I personally would remove it rather than cover it up; it's fine for you if you discover it, skim it and know forever more that you shouldn't disturb it, but what about the next poor sucker that comes along, doesn't know and drills 20 downlighters into it? - no visible indication it's an artex ceiling after you cover it up

From a moral conscience perspective I personally would remove it rather than cover it up; it's fine for you if you discover it, skim it and know forever more that you shouldn't disturb it, but what about the next poor sucker that comes along, doesn't know and drills 20 downlighters into it? - no visible indication it's an artex ceiling after you cover it up
use the stickers that come with the report.

That's a very valid point. As somebody who has previously drilled into a hidden old asbestos flue pipe, I should've thought of that.

Fortunately the sample has come back negative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back