Replacing a pendant light with downlights & new sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I could do with some advice about installing some downlights in a bedroom. There is currently a pendant in the centre of the ceiling which I will be removing, replaster the ceiling then install 4 downlights at appropriate points in the room.

How should I safely cable these downlights?

Also I would like to run a couple of cables for 2 new sockets in the bedroom - how should I cable these correctly?

Excuse the crudness of my description but in the loft the electrics appear quite old with multiple cables coming out of circular connectors (are these spurs??).

My electrical experience so far has been replacing light switches and sockets, although I would like to have a go at doing this correctly and safely.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
circular connectors - common junction boxes, i take it. If you are worried about the age of the wiring, have an electrician take a look. But if it is twin and earth (oval, either grey or white) you're probably safe.

The pendant may be wired as a loop-in. What you need to do, is turn off the power, take the cover off the pendant at the top, note what wires are connected together. Then disconnect and shove the wires into the loft. Replicate the connections in a junction box in the loft, and use a piece of cable, instead of the lamp flex drop, to connect the junction box to the lights.

What sort of lights are you having (low voltage, mains voltage, halogen, normal?)? And where are you buying them? And will they be a kit, or are you buying seperate items?

Ok thanks, that doesn't sound too complicated.

I was thinking of about 4 or 5 halogen downlights as a kit from B & Q also install a dimmer switch - how does that sound for a bedroom?

Kevin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back