Downlights with Limited Access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's the situation: I want to replace our current ugly florescent tube in our kitchen with some down lighters. I live in a converted bungalow and so access above the ceiling is limited and lifting up the floor boards is basically out of the question. Any suggestions firstly, on what sort of circuit I should be putting in for the new down lighters, say 8, and secondly on any cunning way of putting the wire in above the ceiling and around all the joists!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
as you can not lift the floor boards? you may be lucky and have the joists running the same way you want the lights (but that is unlikely) the cables will have to go through the joists (but you cant)

why not get a different type of light instead, it will be much less hassle (others may have a differnt opinion)

This is what I originally propsed doing, bearing in mind the difficulty of running the cables through the joists etc.
diagram.jpg

Basically I thought I could take the current light cable for the florescent tube, put this in a junction box from which I could take off 4 cables that would run down each joist and connect to the relevant number of lights - in effect creating 4 new parallel circuits.
What I'm unsure of however is how valid this idea is with regard to the current that would be flowing over each of the 60W bulbs. I reckon using coat hangers etc I would be able to get the cable from one spot to the next, especially as I can see between the joists from the loft access at the sides.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sponsored Links
How about using the lid of a length of plastic mini trunking 16mm2?

Works for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back