Downpipe bracket screwed into felt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A query about securing a UPVC downpipe bracket onto a felt roof

The roof is recently replaced with 3 layers of torched-on felt (above a kitchen extension). It’s a warm deck roof.

A downpipe from a higher flat roof discharges directly onto this lower roof, and I need to run a new downpipe horizontally across the lower roof (with a slight fall) to discharge this into a gutter.

The new horizontal downpipe will have a 3 metre run and needs to be secured with a UPVC bracket. The only feasible way to do this is with a bracket secured to the face of the flat roof.

I’ve spoken to a couple of contractors who recommend securing the bracket by screwing into the felt, and sealing this with silicone.

Is this an acceptable method?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. It’s quite a large dormer roof above so discharges a lot of water through the downpipe during heavy rain. I was concerned this would damage the felt over time.

Sponsored Links
Just secure the gutter joints with self tapping screws or glue them together.
You could just place a brick either side of it to hold it in place.

Post a photo or sketch, i can't visualise a bracket fixed to a roof surface!
I don’t have a photo, but a guttering installer basically wanted to seat this bracket upright on the roof (with the screws going down vertically into the roof felt). Luckily I stopped him beforehand! but he was adamant that it was legit and wouldn’t cause a leak.

It's a common belief that downpipes discharging on to flat or pitched roofs somehow wears away the covering prematurely. It doesn't, and particularity with felt, it won't affect the lifetime of the felt more than other factors - ie its the least thing to worry about.

The flat roof section does not need securing to roof , secure each end.Should not discharge into gutter but to down pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back