1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Downpipe to nowhere - soakaway?

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by jertum, 10 Mar 2020.

1. jertum

jertum

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We recently moved into an old terraced house (c. 1895) with a small front yard. We've just pruned back a large rosebush to find that the guttering downpipe has rusted away and separated from the section that goes underground. I had actually noticed a bit of rainwater getting in to the crawlspace under the house in that area earlier in the year, but this was during an extreme downpour, so I assumed (hoped) it was just groundwater.

Now I know that rainwater from the roof is being funneled straight into the corner of the front yard, I'm not really sure of the best way to remedy the problem. I don't think the pipework underground connects to the sewage system as the plans only show sewage pipes at the back of the house, so I assume it'd just been draining lower into the ground before the pipe rusted away.

As the front yard is only about 2.5 metres deep I don't think it's possible to install a soakaway, as regulations state that they have to be at least 5 metres from the house.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Chris_W

Chris_W

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In a lot of terraced that I’ve seen with that type of setup, is it is burined under the concrete path/yard and terminates onto the footpath. Any photo evidence?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. jertum

jertum

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've not had chance to get a photo yet - will get one tonight if it's still light when I get home.

As the pavement is about 1.5m away from the house, I guess I'd have to reroute it so it drains horizontally (on a slight downward slope) across the front yard and on to the pavement. Is that allowed?

4. Chris_W

Chris_W

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Provided it is just rainwater, yes it’s allowed.

5. Sponsored Links
  6. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some are piped shallow below the footpath and come out through the curb.