Downpipe to nowhere - soakaway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved into an old terraced house (c. 1895) with a small front yard. We've just pruned back a large rosebush to find that the guttering downpipe has rusted away and separated from the section that goes underground. I had actually noticed a bit of rainwater getting in to the crawlspace under the house in that area earlier in the year, but this was during an extreme downpour, so I assumed (hoped) it was just groundwater.

Now I know that rainwater from the roof is being funneled straight into the corner of the front yard, I'm not really sure of the best way to remedy the problem. I don't think the pipework underground connects to the sewage system as the plans only show sewage pipes at the back of the house, so I assume it'd just been draining lower into the ground before the pipe rusted away.

As the front yard is only about 2.5 metres deep I don't think it's possible to install a soakaway, as regulations state that they have to be at least 5 metres from the house.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
In a lot of terraced that I’ve seen with that type of setup, is it is burined under the concrete path/yard and terminates onto the footpath. Any photo evidence?

In a lot of terraced that I’ve seen with that type of setup, is it is burined under the concrete path/yard and terminates onto the footpath. Any photo evidence?

I've not had chance to get a photo yet - will get one tonight if it's still light when I get home.

As the pavement is about 1.5m away from the house, I guess I'd have to reroute it so it drains horizontally (on a slight downward slope) across the front yard and on to the pavement. Is that allowed?

Provided it is just rainwater, yes it’s allowed.

Sponsored Links
Some are piped shallow below the footpath and come out through the curb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back